Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Junior Chatterbox
    Down the back of the sofa in the friendless void.
    Blog Entries

Default some 18th century Japanese stuff

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 01-25-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: changed me mind

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default more 18th Century Japanese art stuff

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Edward Burne-Jones: The Legend of St George and the Dragon (1865–67)

The greatest painter of the second generation of the Pre-Raphaelite movement, Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones (or EBJ for short) was amazingly productive in a 40 year time span. He created numerous designs for stained glass windows and countless individual paintings, yet I am going to focus on the ambitious series of works he attempted which in my opinion, best typify the goals of the later Pre-Raphaelite movement.

He attempted 5 series of combined paintings during his lifetime, these being The Legend of St George (as shown here), The Legend of Briar Rose, Days of Creation, Pygmalion and the Perseus Cycle. I will attempt to show all these works here when I can compile them as they are scattered across the world in some cases but stand better when viewed together rather than seen as individual pieces (as most books show them).

So, introduction over, here are the paintings...

Princess Sabra.

The Petition to the King,

The Princess Drawing the Lot.

The Princess Sabra Led to the Dragon.

The Princess Tied to a Tree.

St George Slaying the Dragon (first version/study)

St George Slaying the Dragon.

The Return of the Princess.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-10-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Resizing, replacing and other words beginning with r...

Chatmaster Wannabe
    Blog Entries

Hello ^^
    I wish I had a tiny bit of your talent
    Đσσɗɭeʐ

Davinme06 disliked this post

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Utagawa Kuniyoshi: Choko and Cho-Un.

So, part of the reason why I stopped putting pictures up here for about 3 months is because I was only really working on one, this is that picture and it has been a pleasant nightmare (in as much as anything that can cause you to lose your hair, give you sleepless nights and drive you to a near nervous breakdown can be pleasant). Started it right after I completed the Gambit thing so that was the middle of August so it's been about 5 and a half months work with breaks in between so I'll leave it up to you to decide if I wasted my time or not...

Canvas effect version.

Alternate effect version.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Edward Burne-Jones: The Legend of The Briar Rose (1870 - 1890)

A series of paintings portraying one moment in time in four different places from the story of Sleeping Beauty. EBJ attempted numerous version of this work beginning with his first attempt at the subject, the Small Briar Rose painted from 1871 to 1873, which is housed at the Museo de Arte de Ponce in Puerto Rico. This series only consists of 3 of the paintings, being The Prince in the Briar Wood, The Council Chamber and The Rose Bower.

Then the second, famous version series, consisting of 4 paintings from 1885 to 1890 and housed at Buscot Park which also included 10 joining panels which I am unable to find.

Then a 3rd version of which I am unable to find a version of the Rose Bower, it again consisted of 3 paintings, this third Briar Rose Series is split between different museums of which I present the Council Chamber and Garden Court.

The Small Briar Rose.

Buscot Park Series.

Third Briar Rose Series.

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-18-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Ow! Me finger!

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Alieffy

I started this at the end of 2016 I believe and there are about 4 pencil sketch versions on volume 1.

Soft and hard light canvas effect versions.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-18-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Reasons of a somewhat embarrasing grammatical nature

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Edward Burne-Jones: The Perseus Cycle (1875-1890)

EBJ's most ambitious work and frustratingly unfinished the Perseus Cycle consisted of 10 paintings, of which there are gouache (bodycolour) studies for all in various states of completion and 4 completed Oil paintings. I have combined them to demonstrate how the artist changed certain poses and details between the various versions, this also allows me to fit them all on one post instead of two or three. Anyway, the paintings...

The Call of Perseus.

Perseus and the Graiae.

The Arming of Perseus.

The Finding of Medusa.

The Death of Medusa (left) The Birth of Pegasus and Chrysaor (right).

The Rock of Doom.

The Doom Fulfilled.

The Baleful Head.

There were two further paintings in the series, Perseus and Andromeda, which was created before he began work on the cycle and which later formed the basis for The Rock of Doom and The Doom Fulfilled. There was also Atlas Turned to Stone, which falls between the Birth of Pegasus and The Rock of Doom in the cycle but which I have excluded due to forums only allowing 8 pictures a post. They are only a Google search away though.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-10-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Sometimes there is no reason just madness and chaos...

Chatmaster Wannabe
    Blog Entries

~waves~ LOves the art !
    Đσσɗɭeʐ

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Edward Burne-Jones: Days of Creation

Days of Creation.

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-16-2018 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Black and white Worries.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Psyche Art Nouveau Recreation (Originally by Jan Toorop)

This was originally a book cover in blue and white, I am doing it in gold as when the various effects are added it will be a more custard type yellow (I have no idea why my paint program does this when you add effects but it does).

Effect version.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-20-2018 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Banana and Chocolate milkshake...

Is the signature pic one of your efforts, too, Angelo?

Me like, anyways!

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Hardly, it's Ophelia by Arthur Hughes from 1852. In my dreams I will paint like that one day, but today is not that day.

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-21-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Picture addition and text subtraction...

Chatmaster Wannabe
    Blog Entries

every piccy you post is beautiful ^5
    Đσσɗɭeʐ

Quote Originally Posted by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso View Post
    Hardly, it's Ophelia by Arthur Hughes from 1852. In my dreams I will paint like that one day, but today is not that day. And the old guy sleeping with a beard is from the Council Chamber by Burne Jones (just so you know).
    Hope I don't come across as too much of a peasant when I say I'd never heard of Arthur Hughes before!

My fave artists are Monet (once he'd established Impressionism), Van Gogh and Miro - with my three fave paintings (hope Chatmaster lets me copy em over) being:

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/*********/commons/9/99/Water-Lilies-and-Japanese-Bridge-%281897-1899%29-Monet.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://3.bp.********.com/-1aPK-FHnrhI/Ve4agayTy4I/AAAAAAAABXU/LSOOE3HQEwI/s1600/Paris%2BMusee%2BD%2527Orsay%2BVincent%2Bvan%2BGogh %2B1888%2BStarry%2BNight%2Bover%2Bthe%2BRhone%2B1. jpg[/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Drat it didn't!

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Der Blaue Reiter

So Der Blaue Reiter (or The Blue Rider) was a short lived German art movement founded by Wassily Kandinsky that existed from 1911 to the outbreak of the First World War. It had no strict values nor did the artists involved follow any unified school of painting, total creative freedom of expression was the goal of this group.

I have combined a collection of the artists works for this post, and it is thus somewhat haphazard, as some of the artists involved were extremely prolific while some others were not. The membership of artists in this movement was also somewhat fluid, due to clashes of temperament, it consisted of Russian Emigrant and Germans, but it also included other Nationalities of artists for brief periods of time, so here we go with the pictures...

Wassily Kandinsky

Top row, left to right: Lady In Moscow (1912); Composition VI (1913); 293 (1913); Landscape with Rain (1913). Bottom row, left to right: Small Pleasures (1913); Composition VII (1913).

Franz Marc

Top Row (left to right): The Blue Horse (1911); Girl with Cat (1912); Mountains (1912); Tiger (1912). Second Row (Right to left): The Enchanted Mill (1913); St. Julian The Hospitaliser (1913)
    Fairy Animals (1913); Fabulous Beasts II (1913). Third Row (left to Right): The Unfortunate Land of Tyrol (1913); The Wolves (Balkan War) (1913). Bottom Row (left to Right): Deer in the Forest (1913); Deer in the Forest II (1914); Fate of the Animals (1914).

Natalia Goncharova

Top row (left to right): Sabbath (1912); Airplane over Train (1913); Cats (1913); Cyclist (1913); Middle Row (left to right): Dynamo Machine (1913) top; Electric Lamp (1913) bottom; Rayonist Lillies (1913); The Weaver (1913); Yellow and Green Forest (1913); Third Row (left to right): Composition (1914); Espagnole (1914); Liturgy, sketch of a costume (1914); Liturgy, six winged Seraph (1914);
    Liturgy, St. Andrew (1914); Liturgy, The Seraph's costume (1914); Bottom Row (left to right); ****erel (1914); Forest (Red-green) (1914); Rabbi with Cat (1912).

Paul Klee

(all 1914) Top row (left to right): Colour Shapes; Hammamet; Hammamet; Red and White Domes; Middle Row (left to right):
    Hammamet with Mosque; Remembrance of a Garden; Bottom Row (left to right): In the Style of Kairouan; Windows and Palm Trees; In the houses of St. Germain.

Robert Delaunay

Top row (left to right): The Eiffel Tower (1911); The Red Tower (1911); Eiffel Tower (1913); Middle Row (left to right): The City of Paris (1912); Window (1912); Rhythm (1912); Windows open Simultaneously (1912); Bottom Row (left to right); The Three Graces (1912); Woman with Umbrella (1913); Simultaneous Windows (1912); Homage to Bleriot (1914).

August Macke

Complicated but this goes in order of left to right, top to bottom: Couple in the woods (1912); Russian Ballet (1912); Big Zoo, Triptych (1913); Garden Restaurant (1912); Sunny Way (1913); Zoological Garden I (1913); Children and Sunny Trees (1913); Colourful Shapes (two versions) (1913); In Front of the Hat Shop (1913); People at the Blue Lake (1913); Promenade (1913); Woman with a Yellow Jacket (1913); Tightrope Walker (1914); Woman in a Green Jacket (1913); Fashion Store (1914); Farewell (1914); Girl in the Greenery (1914); At the Garden Table (1914); Dealer with Jugs (1914); In The Bazar (1914); In the Temple Hall (1914); Man with Donkey (1914); Market in Algiers (1914).

Alexej von Jawlensky

Top row (left to right):
    Portrait of a Woman (1912); Pale Woman with Red Hair (1912); Head in Blue (1912); Spanish Girl (1912). Bottom Row (left to right): The Thinking Woman (1912); Woman with a Green Fan (1912); Head in Black and Green (1913); The Blue Mantilla (1913).

Albert Bloch & Others

Top Row (left to right): Albert Bloch, Duel (1912); The Four Pierrots (1912); Summer Night (1913); The Green Dress (1913);
    Marianne von Werefkin, Catholic Church of St. Anne in Vilnius (1912);

Second Row (left to right):
    Heinrich Campendonk, Still life with Head (1914); Man with Red Top Hat and Woman (1912); Bucolic Landscape (1913); The Balcony (1913); Emil Nolde, Candle Dancers (1912); The Missionary (1912); Gabriele Munter, Black Mask with Rose (1912);

Third Row (left to Right): Lyonel Feininger, Bathers on The Beach (1912); Harbor Mole (1913); David Burliuk, Cossack Mamai (1912); Love and Peace (1914);

Bottom Row (left to right): Lyonel Feininger, Cyclists (1912); On The Bridge (1913); David Burliuk, Landscape (1912).
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 02-21-2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Naming all the damn pictures...

Chatmaster Wannabe
    Blog Entries

^^ lovely please don't critize yourself lol good to see you
    Đσσɗɭeʐ

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Untitled Experiment No.1

Just a colour thing...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123