Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Junior Chatterbox
    Down the back of the sofa in the friendless void.
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby's The Gods

Jack Kirby's The Gods from 1967. It's grey as I'm pondering whether or not to use colour on the background although I may just leave it as is.

This originally was a huge pencil only drawing Jack Kirby worked on while creating the characters for what would become The Fourth World, this picture would lead to the creation of The Celestials from The Eternals 10 years later. As for the Kirby original, as far as I know it was lost with the only version surviving being a poor quality photo.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 05-01-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Wording and what not.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby's Inhumans

Crystal of the Inhumans from Fantastic Four Annual #6, restored without the text.

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 05-22-2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Bloody Nightmare!

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jane Morris, Rosetti's Muse

Reverie 1868

Pandora 1869

The women of the flame 1870

Prosperine 1874

astarte syriaca 1878

a vision of Fiammetta 1878

Pandora 1879

the day dream 1880
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 07-18-2017 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Pure beauty.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Smile Jack Kirby Captain America

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 05-09-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby's Fourth World Who's Who

Late period Kirby, lots of obscure characters, what's not to love?

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 05-11-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I found my Mother Box!

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby's 1966 concept drawings

These are the character sheets for what would become DC's New Gods, Kirby intending them to replace Thor after killing off all of the Old Gods as per the myth. Marvel wasn't going to cancel a well-selling title however and Kirby resigned after they changed the Thor story in which they were killed with Thor and the other Old Gods being saved at the last moment. Kirby then moved to DC and published the Fourth World series using the first page of the New Gods #1 to give a nod to his intended use. Marvel's loss really but enough of that, just enjoy the trippy pics and pure sci-fi/superhero coolness of Kirby at his best.

His Darkseid painting and the character sheets for Orion, Mister Miracle, Lightray and Mantis with Metron, probably my favourite of all of these, below.

I was going to repaint these, but it seems wrong somehow so I'm just sticking up the originals.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 07-16-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: that's a comfy looking chair.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Sketch again.

A quickish picture of Rosario Dawson, done in what I call a Jigsaw puzzle style.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Utagawa Kuniyoshi's Popular Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Combined these in August last year (along with every other tryptich of his I could find) for a Pinterest board. It's not my favourite work of his but it is a famous series of scenes from a Japanese Folk masterpiece. I'll probably post some more of them eventually seeing as how there are about 300 of them (the triptyches that is)...

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 07-17-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Changed the post subject.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby Inhumans (No.2)

Medusa from Fantastic Four Annual No.6. It's taken me 10 days to do this one and there's still some buildings in the bottom left corner to draw in, but sod that for now.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby Centenary Celebration

The old Captain America Comics #1 with some new bits and some effects.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Jack Kirby Superman II

The 1970 drawing with Kirby's original face (the redrawn replacement face is on page 1) in 3 versions. I still hate those aliens btw.

Basic version.

Canvas version.

Canvas overlay version.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Galactus

I began this ages ago and worked on it in little stages until finishing it just now, which is why I'm posting it here.

basic version.

Final effect version (I have 3 others versions completed, but for now I'm just posting these two).
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 05-27-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: PINKY PURPLE PSYCHEDELIC PERFECTION

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Miranda SN

Just in case you lose the pictures and have to delete the links...

...and a darker one I didn't send earlier as it makes you look yellow.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default The Fantastic 400th Post (at least it was until some posts were deleted)

So, seeing as how I always tend to celebrate the centenary posts I thought I'd try something different this time. This being what I consider the best work I've done on the now closed Volume one. I limited myself to pictures I've done during the time of the Cornucopia caravan so no stuff from 2013 or early 2014, there's also no repeated stuff from vol.2 as that's kinda pointless. I've also tried to show the different styles of the stuff I do, pretentious I know but it stops it being all Jeffrey Catherine Jones recreations or comic covers.

It was hard to pick only 8 but here they are...

No.1 Jeffrey Catherine Jones Vampire Angel.

Did this back in December 2014 when I first started recreating Jeffrey Catherine Jones book covers. Looking at it now it's a tad rough around the edges but I've always liked this one and never felt the need to retinker with it after I got it to it's initial completed stage (Unlike the Wolfling cover that I've reworked about 6 times and I'm still not happy with).

No. 2 The Dark Knight Movie Poster.

Did this in April 2015 as I was recovering from a chat burn-out. Originally the plan was to do all the Nolan Batman posters but my enthusiasm fizzled out during Rises. Still the best Batman I've drawn though and the one picture that nigh on everyone who've seen it likes.

No. 3 Steranko's Psychedelic Monster.

Probably the most complicated and involved picture I've worked on. Strange how it seems to fit together despite it not being planned that way originally. First drawn in 2013 and I then redrew and improved it in 2015, although I posted the original on a Pinterest board when I first finished it back in August 2013 and it's got about 156 pins now or something and even turns up on google searches (much to my regret as the original one is damn shocking when I look at it now). Weird though because I never intended it to be seen past the person I did it for originally.

No.4 The Vireo Fairy (A Jeffrey Catherine Jones Recreation)

Did this one 2015 for a chatter in gen with the name Vireo who was a great artist and classy chatter. Sadly she suffered from a ailment that stopped her drawing and I started this one as a tribute to her (in a weird way) and to show how much I liked her art. Of course, it took me so long to complete this picture that by the time I actually finished she had moved on from chat and I don't think she ever saw the completed piece. I still think of her though and hope she sees it one day.

No. 5. Kothar (a Jeffrey Catherine Jones Recreation)

The last JCJ picture I chose and the one that took me the longest. One of a series of monster/Barbarian recreations of his work I did, this took me over a year to complete and it was a nightmare to get the windswept snow effect using paint. I think as far as choosing the best JCJ recreation I've done it's tight between this one, Tigers of the Sea and Sword of the Gael, but this one just beats those two. If you could post a top 10 of pictures those would be on it though.

On a side note if you type Jeffrey Catherine Jones Recreation into Google you also get a load of my recreations (there's also a link to Chat Avenue on one of them). Of course no one but me ever types Jeffrey Catherine Jones Recreation but it is what it is.

No.6 Kuniyoshi Suikoden Recreation.

Apologies for the blurriness although this was originally A3 size so I had to take the photo so far away it never focused properly.

A throwback of sorts as it's the example of my actually drawing using actual art materials and not a laptop. I only have this photo and a smaller one of this piece as I gave it away to a friend after faber and castell brush penning it, adding some gel pen stuff, watercolour pencils and a teeny bit of paint to it. I still do some stuff on paper but I decided after the sketchbook phase I went through that I just use the digital stuff I do on here (as I can never get a decent photo of the stuff).

No.7 Rosetti's Tune of the Seven Towers (Incomplete).

I try not to recreate works of art from actual genius level proper artists as I always find it somewhat presumptious, like how dare I try and add something to their work. That said, I do get bored with comic covers every now and again and attempt one. This is probably the favourite one I've done and I still hope to complete the full picture one day though lord knows when.

No. 8 Anonymous female in blue.

The last picture I completed on Vol one about 4 months ago now. I like doing these colour experiment things and I like drawing women, sadly I always tend to get bogged down with comic covers and whatever so I never finish as many as I would like. Still, that's that, hope you like them.

Btw honourary mentions also to the Gene Day Samurai, Gypsy Queen and the Movie Iron man suit stages.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 07-16-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Changing some pictures to make it more diverse.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default The deliciously desirable dame Dyke.

With thanks for the kind permission of Amanda for letting me put this on here in the first place.

Top one is the basic version, bottom is the one with computer effect wizardry.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Cozmokittee Anew

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Molly Ringwald

Because she's pretty in pink (Yeah I used the lame pun again Mals) I present to you Anomalie.

Clean canvas version.

Still not finished, I still have some detailing to do on the hair and highlights to the face - as well as whatever messed up weird stuff I can think of that will probably ruin it.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 07-18-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Stuff.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default The Whale

Another one I began a few years ago that I'm finally getting around to completing. This was originally a cover painting for the pulp magazine Adventure in 1911, I don't know who painted it originally but when I saw it I thought it was the perfect cover for Moby D!ck, so I started doing my version. Still not finished though, I have the hull to detail in regards to the boards of the ship, and some defining of the clouds and waves but for now this one is done I think...

...canvassy effect thing added.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 06-26-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Melville seriously needed a editor.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default 90's X-Men (No.1)

So, I've had a bit of a break from drawing the last 2 weeks due to wanting to break my fingers every time I look at a picture. Still, my rampant ego and narcissism demands that I keep this thread going so here we are with the beginnings of a 90's X-Men project. This is the Beast and I'm trying to get a different feel to it rather than just straight comic book style block colours.

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 08-11-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Furry toes.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default 90's X-Men (No.2)

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 07-31-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Purple Power.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast