Default What is the best way to learn and be fluent in a language?

Apart from speaking and reading books, how do I improve my speaking and writing skills in English?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rineti View Post
    Apart from speaking and reading books, how do I improve my speaking and writing skills in English?
    No matter what language you want to learn... Eat, drink and breath it! I cannot stress it enough... Everything you do must be done in the language you want to learn. Set your computer to that language, Television and open an email account specifically for one language as it will force you to understand it. This forum and chat has helped me immensely with my English for it is not my native language. Surround yourself to those who speak the language. Talk to strangers in shops and parks.

I have spent time in America, so it was easier and quicker for me to learn. I know not where you're from and what your native language is. If you truly want to learn a different language, it is up to you to discipline yourself as frustrating as it may become. Apps, books and audio are only aides that help minimally. I honestly don't know what else to say that will make it easier other than translators that are not all accurate.

If you wrote this thread from just knowing what you learned as of late, you write well.

Gay Chat Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalina View Post
    No matter what language you want to learn... Eat, drink and breath it! I cannot stress it enough... Everything you do must be done in the language you want to learn. Set your computer to that language, Television and open an email account specifically for one language as it will force you to understand it. This forum and chat has helped me immensely with my English for it is not my native language. Surround yourself to those who speak the language. Talk to strangers in shops and parks.

I have spent time in America, so it was easier and quicker for me to learn. I know not where you're from and what your native language is. If you truly want to learn a different language, it is up to you to discipline yourself as frustrating as it may become. Apps, books and audio are only aides that help minimally. I honestly don't know what else to say that will make it easier other than translators that are not all accurate.

If you wrote this thread from just knowing what you learned as of late, you write well.
    Mag, do you write better than you speak as far as English is concerned? You say you have broken English when you speak, yet you write as if English is your native language...

Junior Chatterbox

Quote Originally Posted by Toretto View Post
    You say you have broken English ... yet you write as if English is your native language...
    Indeed, Toretto!

Let's annoy the Americans:

Mag, imagine how much better your English would be if you'd learnt it in a country that could USE English.

:: The2Game flees, stage right, dodging incoming Nooooooks ::

Gay Chat Mod

Quote Originally Posted by The2Game View Post
    :: The2Game flees, stage right, dodging incoming Nooooooks ::
    ha ha LOL!

Blog Entries

Mag, do you write better than you speak as far as English is concerned? You say you have broken English when you speak, yet you write as if English is your native language...

I would like to think that I speak English fluently, as I can communicate very well to anyone verbally. Specific words I do not know in English and have to stop and mentally search. This creates pauses in my sentences which in return the person I am speaking with fills in the blanks. Sometimes embarrassing. I also don't know many American phrases which I have to ask to be defined.

Writing is a passion for me as I have much pride in with what I learn regardless of language. When doing so, I can put the words down correctly no matter how long it takes to write. This of course you do not see as you are reading it after my labor. I guess it's a gift and a curse that I have. I want to be certain my grammar is correct and I pray that it is. Sadly, so many people think those from other countries are stupid because they cannot speak or write English properly. Little know, I do speak and write several languages but not as much as I do English.

I still feel I am of need for much improvement as I should be mentored by those who speak fluently… With that stated, I sometimes feel the laziness of those who write in their native language, "English" have horrific grammar and spelling. Again, it's all about self discipline to learn and adapt.

Sorry for the Blah Blah Blah…

Gay Chat Mod

I would like to think that I speak English fluently, as I can communicate very well to anyone verbally. Specific words I do not know in English and have to stop and mentally search. This creates pauses in my sentences which in return the person I am speaking with fills in the blanks. Sometimes embarrassing. I also don't know many American phrases which I have to ask to be defined.

Writing is a passion for me as I have much pride in with what I learn regardless of language. When doing so, I can put the words down correctly no matter how long it takes to write. This of course you do not see as you are reading it after my labor. I guess it's a gift and a curse that I have. I want to be certain my grammar is correct and I pray that it is. Sadly, so many people think those from other countries are stupid because they cannot speak or write English properly. Little know, I do speak and write several languages but not as much as I do English.

I still feel I am of need for much improvement as I should be mentored by those who speak fluently… With that stated, I sometimes feel the laziness of those who write in their native language, "English" have horrific grammar and spelling. Again, it's all about self discipline to learn and adapt.

Sorry for the Blah Blah Blah…
    No it's all good. Please don't apologise. Thanks for your insights and I admire the work you've put in to get where you are. What other languages do you speak? I am Greek blood, though talking to me, you'd never know. The nose gives it away though ha ha. I don't know a lot of Greek as I was born & raised in Australia and did very little Greek school growing up. I also did French in High School and would love to learn Italian & Spanish - if I could be bothered that this. Mandarin would also be cool. But without a daily application for these languages - use it or lose it.

If I could go back 20 years, I'd love to be studying counter-terrorism and learn Arabic too. All pipe dreams though I'm afraid...

Blog Entries

No it's all good. Please don't apologise. Thanks for your insights and I admire the work you've put in to get where you are. What other languages do you speak? I am Greek blood, though talking to me, you'd never know. The nose gives it away though ha ha. I don't know a lot of Greek as I was born & raised in Australia and did very little Greek school growing up. I also did French in High School and would love to learn Italian & Spanish - if I could be bothered that this. Mandarin would also be cool. But without a daily application for these languages - use it or lose it.

If I could go back 20 years, I'd love to be studying counter-terrorism and learn Arabic too. All pipe dreams though I'm afraid...
    I speak Romanian and English of course, also Ukrainian, Russian, Hungarian and German. Very little Italian which is a beautiful language. My ambition is to learn Spanish, because America has many Spanish speaking residence.

I never knew you were Greek and I envy anyone who knows French. I cannot make sense out of it as I get tongue tied. I'm learning more and more about you as time passes... Very nice!

Gay Chat Mod

I speak Romanian and English of course, also Ukrainian, Russian, Hungarian and German. Very little Italian which is a beautiful language. My ambition is to learn Spanish, because America has many Spanish speaking residence.

I never knew you were Greek and I envy anyone who knows French. I cannot make sense out of it as I get tongue tied. I'm learning more and more about you as time passes... Very nice!
    Ah I'm just a has-been now. Would love to wind the clock back 20 years though...

Blog Entries

Ah I'm just a has-been now. Would love to wind the clock back 20 years though...

This you must know. It's never too late nor one is never too old!

Gay Chat Mod

This you must know. It's never too late nor one is never too old!
    Yes you're right, but certain goals have changed cos of my age, though I still have a few up my sleeve...

If you want to improve your skills in English, you should practice as much as you can. Read books, watch news and movies, try to write own articles. Of course, it's better to learn a language where it's spoken, that's why learning a language abroad is the most effective way. By the way, I can recommend a great website, it's very useful info https://linguatrip.com/en/english/
    Last edited by Rilan; 08-13-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Many people try to make friends with common interests from another country (whose language you are learning) and talk for hours.

I've heard that studying abroad in the country whose language you want to learn is extremely helpful because you are practically forced to learn and understand what is being said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ View Post
    I've heard that studying abroad in the country whose language you want to learn is extremely helpful because you are practically forced to learn and understand what is being said.
    This is exactly how my English improved!