Junior Chatterbox
    Down the back of the sofa in the friendless void.
    Blog Entries

Default The All-New All-Different (yet still the same) Cornucopia Caravan

A Japanese woodprint from 1704 by Torii Kiyonobu restored using fancy computer trickery.

For you Purple Rose.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 09-23-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: And the cycle begins anew

Singles Chat Admin/UM

thats one long sword. it would be as tall as him if he was standing.

the coloring of the outfit is nice. it makes him stand out more . i think if the suit was all one color it would make him look like a prickly staypuft marshmallow man.

thanks drewyyyyyyy

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Rajōmon

So, this one is sorta complicated. The website I got it from which I can't name because of like advertising or something, has it down as being by Torrii Kiyonobu the 1st from 1711, although the only surviving copy of the drawing is a much later print from about 1840. However, the print as it survives has obviously been changed from the original due to it having a more Utagawa school type background, in fact it having a background at all means it has been changed from the original, which leads me to believe that it was probably redrawn from the original by an unknown artist and sold as being an original.

Regardless,this is my version of it and it looks very pretty so whatever, right?

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 10-04-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Paragraphing some kind of message with no clear meaning.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Play Bills of Kumazaka

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Yatsushi Goro and Yatsushi Shosho

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 10-06-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Experimentation gone awry

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Kitagawa Utamaro

A selection of triptyches by Kitagawa Utamaro, good for desktop backgrounds...

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 10-31-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: NO SHUNGA! That stuff will rot your brain and make you go blind...

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Soga no Gorô

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 10-20-2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: He's got some big sleeves.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Yashima Gakutei (1786-1868)

One of the great originals of Japanese art, Yashima Gakutei was a contemporary of the Utagawa school (although he was independent from them) and a pupil of Hokusai, who created the iconic print the Great Wave. Gakutei's work was decidedly more time consuming to produce and fanciful than the almost Industrialised process of Utagawa with intricate details carved into high quality wood and embossing as well as precise blocks that utilised metallic inks.

Courtesans Viewed as the Immortals of Ressenden (1820)

Four Companions of the Writing Studio for the Ichiyô Circle (1827)

Two Beauties from the Tale of Genji (Gengo nikajin)

Views of Nakanochô for the Hisakata Poetry Club (1825)

Furuichi Dance

Five Tiger Generals of the Suikoden

Arts for the Sugawara Group (Sugawara sanseki) (1824)

Pentaptych for the Hisakataya Poetry Club

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 10-30-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: So many to choose from yet so few spaces to show them...

Singles Chat Admin/UM

Ive never been much into pencil art i just think there just so busy that it makes it hard for me to focus but these ones are really good. Maybe its because there's just enough color vs non color.

Big sleeve guy does nothing for me but the details like muscles and the details of clothes are amazing and makes him stand out.

thanks drewyyyyyyy

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Why the big sleeves and long swords?

An actual written post this time, which seems rather odd in a graphics forum, but I felt the need to write something about the style of art on this thread and the reasons why I am doing my versions of it. So if long winded boring paragraphs are not your thing, stop reading now!

First of all, why do all these pictures have massive sleeves and long swords? Well, the simple answer is that it was the style of drawing used by the Torri School and the few independent artists of the era (the years 1700-1740). The more complicated answer is that the process of making the pieces was more simple than it became, so the figures and expressions were more square and basic, due to their not being a way to carve great detail into the work of the time. Also, these were primarily commercial works used as billboards and play bill leaflets so they were portrayed in a exaggerated manner to portray the acting style and the type of play the person would see.

This is best portrayed by the two works of Soga no Gora I have recreated, one being a classical romantic portrayal of the tale played by a serious actor, the other not (and no prizes for guessing which is which) although both were created between 6 months of each other by the same artist. So the more refined classical actor is more stylised with flowing sweeping capes while the other is broader, fatter and has a more exaggerated appearance. Of course, these are not actually play bills but actor prints, these being works that the newly affluent Japanese middle classes would hang on their walls and discuss over dinner parties.

So why am I recreating these works? Well, a lot of the works I am using at the moment are at least 300 years old and were produced as plain black and white works with a orange and tan wash produced on rough paper, therefore a lot of these works are badly faded and aged. The choice I had was simple then, I could print out the originals and restore them or I could create my own version of the works and attempt to create the look of what they would be if they were produced now, the decision I made was obvious and is massively time consuming (so maybe just painting on top of the originals would be better) but I enjoy doing them (for now at least)

So, this leads me to how this thread will progress. At the moment I am alternating between studying and collecting the actual works from the years 1700-1860 and recreating the works from the Early Edo Period, this being 1700-1740. I have enough works to keep myself occupied for at least 5 years before I even begin on works from the 1740's or later and the collecting and trawling of the internet in order to find decent sized works from the various artists uses up most of my time, although it is rewarding.

So, the way seems clear, I will be posting on here maybe two or three times a week, alternating between the recreations I have completed and examples of the artists I have been studying (this does seem a lot like what I have done previously, but shush), this means the thread may crawl slowly towards its first centenary but I am satisfied with it overall although maybe I should have named the thread Japonism.

And for all you lovely people who have sat through my ramblings* a treat, an actual painting by Kaigetsudo Ando of the Kaigetsudo School. There are not many of these in the public domain and it annoys me but regardless it's a beautiful picture so here it is...

*The ramblings here being the second, truncated version of this post due to forums crashing and not saving the earlier much more detailed and precise writing that would make up this post. Seems sorta symbolic of Graphics Forums as a whole if I think about it.
    Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 10-28-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Yes, I am shutting up now.

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Suzuki Harunobu

A selection of his work from 1765-1770.

A untitled series from 1765-66.

Eight Indoor Scenes (1766)

The Five Virtues (1767).

Fashionable Versions of Ink in Five Colors (1767-68).

Fashionable Views of Nô Plays (1768).

Fashionable Parodies of Nô Plays (1769).

Beauties of the Floating World Compared to Flowers (1770).

Chatmaster Wannabe
    Blog Entries

Just beautiful .

☻ĎőőđŁěž☻

Screem
    Hi Doodz

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Default Chris McGrath: Swords and Knives

The last few weeks I have not really been doing much that is presentable, due to trying to relearn a more Western style of art after the Japanese phase. While searching modern artists in an attempt to rekindle my interest in drawing I came across these book covers, being the work of one Chris McGrath. I show them here as a sorta whatever post due to liking them and not having anything of my own finished to put in their place...

Last edited by L'Angelo d'Mysterioso; 11-15-2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Typo in the title, how very embarrassing...