Gay Chat Mod

Default Suicide Prevention

This is a really good article about the Suicide problem in Australia and support measures needed/in place for it's prevention:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...a2be5983efd9a6

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toretto View Post
    This is a really good article about the Suicide problem in Australia and support measures needed/in place for it's prevention:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...a2be5983efd9a6
    Interesting video as I believe in most countries the male suicide percentage is much higher than female. Is it because men keep things locked up in fear of being considered weak or perhaps that they feel they hold most of the responsibility providing for their families? IDK

Do brothers bond closely with brothers or maybe their sisters, sharing their deepest secrets with each other or just to be comforted by? I don't have brothers and cannot answer, but speaking for myself, my sisters and I share virtually everything with each other. I don't have suicidal tendencies by any means but it is comforting to know someone is always there to talk to when needed.

I think guys will open up to girls more if they want to talk about something. If this works, find that person who is understanding and willing to listen! I want to read a guys perspective to this.

Gay Chat Mod

Men definitely keep shìt bottled up. What I found interesting in the article, is this (regarding the reasons why men attempt to take their own life): “Different types of life crises,” Mr Poole says. “Relationship breakdown, work issues — whether that’s stress at work or the stress of not having work — financial stress, for older men physical health issues, and other things such as bereavement, alcohol abuse, trouble with the law.”.

3 out of 4 people that take their own life in my country are men. Personally, I would have to fully trust a person if I were to open up about certain issues. Even if you have ONE person that you can open up to, it can make the world of difference. My experience in this area is limited personally, but professionally I know more than I care to share right now. I'm just glad I have someone to call when my shìt gets beyond me. Again, all it takes is having one person who will listen to you, give advice and reassure you.

All the friends, Family and an ex who have committed suicide, bar 1, have been male. I had also attempted several times when I was a teenager.

What a lot of people don't recognise is that mental illness and suicide do not always go hand in hand, BUT we all associate suicide with enduring mental illness.

Suicide is an act of desperation that often is not proceeded by mental health issues.

What people need to be able to recognise is the signs of someone that has reached the point of no return, the point where they have committed themselves to suicide. It is too often associated with melancholy which leads you to ask 'Are You OK?' when in fact you should recognise that an unusual calmness is the real sign that something is not right, why? When a person has resolved themself to commit suicide, they believe they have found the answer, they believe they have resolved the melancholy...Now THAT is when you need to engage with that person.

Over 30, almost 40 years of seeing people in my life end theirs, the real precursors have not been addressed. Don't look for the one that tells you, or alludes to the fact that they are going to commit suicide, looks for the ones that are unusally happy and calm.

Gay Chat Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen2002 View Post
    What a lot of people don't recognise is that mental illness and suicide do not always go hand in hand, BUT we all associate suicide with enduring mental illness.

Suicide is an act of desperation that often is not proceeded by mental health issues.

What people need to be able to recognise is the signs of someone that has reached the point of no return, the point where they have committed themselves to suicide. It is too often associated with melancholy which leads you to ask 'Are You OK?' when in fact you should recognise that an unusual calmness is the real sign that something is not right, why? When a person has resolved themself to commit suicide, they believe they have found the answer, they believe they have resolved the melancholy...Now THAT is when you need to engage with that person.

Over 30, almost 40 years of seeing people in my life end theirs, the real precursors have not been addressed. Don't look for the one that tells you, or alludes to the fact that they are going to commit suicide, looks for the ones that are unusally happy and calm.
    Yep totally agree Heathen about the point regarding mental illness. The hard part is identifying those that 'seem' to be at peace before they make an attempt. Too fúcking hard in fact!!

Thanks for sharing!

Gay Chat Mod

Here's another article about Australian Trade workers, giving a men's perspective. I know the farming sector is also genuinely affected:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...bb8777afc9b782

Junior Chatterbox
    Blog Entries

I read an article once about those who attempted to commit suicide and failed, regretted it the second the went through with it. A guy jumped of a bridge and wish he hadn't the second he jumped off the platform. After many broken bones and extensive surgery, he stated while recovering that he lost his job and house and had nowhere to go. He now takes life differently and feels that there is nothing more precious.

I suppose the same thoughts goes through those minds of who succeeded, but I guess we will never know this for they have passed on.

very nice of you to post and share this - good dude.
    mighty mighty mouse, a mouse of house to pounce on blouse bc no clout ill eat da trout

Intermediate Member

Suicide sucks. People do it and I wish they didn't. And I have no idea what brought them to do it because we can't read minds.

However, the ones who survived a suicide attempt are the ones that interest me. Maybe then it could create a better mental picture of drives a person to suicide and try as a society to fix the problem and not just the person
    How much nuffin did a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?