Leaving college - Stay in academia or leave?

Shearor

Hi! I'm in the UK and leaving college soon after gaining a level 3 extended diploma (turning 19 soon) and was wondering what kind of options are available. So far I've got university, degree apprenticeship (uni but you're paid to do it), or go straight into work. The air force seems like a really good idea, in the first year if I stay on the joining wage which I've been told isn't very likely if I'm any good, I'd make over £17,000 a year after tax I can also do a degree there eventually but not sure how to go about doing that, or whether it's worth starting on a low wage or getting a degree and going into work at a higher level.

What route did you take?

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy the army and militia sure likes taking the best years of people's lives. Fortunately, no active wars at the moment.

Academia can be fun if you're not obsessed with money, except there's some people who have been in it for 40 years and have 5 doctorates. I once read an article a long-time ago this guy spent over 10 years trying to get his phD but the professor wouldn't pass him, so actually he ended up murdering the guy out of frustration, and now he's serving time in jail.

Hi! I'm in the UK and leaving college soon after gaining a level 3 extended diploma (turning 19 soon) and was wondering what kind of options are available. So far I've got university, degree apprenticeship (uni but you're paid to do it), or go straight into work. The air force seems like a really good idea, in the first year if I stay on the joining wage which I've been told isn't very likely if I'm any good, I'd make over £17,000 a year after tax according to this tax site. I can also do a degree there eventually but not sure how to go about doing that, or whether it's worth starting on a low wage or getting a degree and going into work at a higher level.

What route did you take?

All people start with a low wage, but higher education will be useful for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
I work and go to university at the same time - there are many distance learning courses at decent English universities to choose from. If you work as you learn you dont have to borrow money to pay tuition fees and end up with no student debt like moi.