Squeaky Gear Stick - should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only seems to squeak when I go left/right with it, going up or down is totally fine no noise whatsoever. I've already got a Β£1,600 bill to fix up the car after a crash a few months back, not looking to add to that :help:
It just squeaks? No performance issues? Maybe it just needs some lube. Did it squeak before the accident too?

Gear shift sqeaks

Gear shift sqeaks

There may very well be a grease fitting on it if it is an older model American car. Most likey accesed under the car. If the pedal makes the squeak and its a manual linkage, there is definately a fitting there. Also you could remove the boot and put a little grease on any metal-on-metal contact points at the base of the shifter and transmission.

Otherwise if its a newer jap car its probably a tiny plastic bushing worn out or cracked. Take the cover off and look for points where metal contacts metal[FONT="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif].

T
[/FONT]
hat boot will come off. just spray some oil around where it moves.
H
ave you tried oiling it? that might help.
un screw the gear knob (replace with pool ball No8) pull the gaiter up off the floor and slide off the stick. if you have skinny arms and hands you can reach in to lubricate. if not (like me) you need to shimmy under Neath as well. when you take the gaiter off, you will see why it is squeaking. (rubber on rubber and dry) Just used Vaseline to lubricate and it has worked fine. Just put back together in reverse order and enjoy squeak free movement!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
:)
I hope this helps,
All the best,
Princessa
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.