The Death Penalty - For or Against?

Are you for or against the death penalty?

• Total voters
Nothing is perfect, therefore we should take lives based on imperfection?

Since we all decided at one point that capital punishment was legal, then yes. We all agreed that even though it wasn’t perfect it was still needed based on the horrific crimes that some people commit which deserve the death penalty.

Since we all decided at one point that capital punishment was legal, then yes. We all agreed that even though it wasn’t perfect it was still needed based on the horrific crimes that some people commit which deserve the death penalty.
All decided? All agreed? Dude if that was true it wouldn't be a debate topic...

And it's been abolished in nearly half of the US and over half of the world as a whole. I fail to see your point. There's no "all" here.

I guess my point got a little lost. My main point was that there are people whose acts are so heinous that even if there’s a risk of a mistake happening, it’s worth it to deal which those types of people. You disagree and that’s fine.
This is one of those divisive issues that will always have people on either side with strong emotions.

I guess my point got a little lost. My main point was that there are people whose acts are so heinous that even if there’s a risk of a mistake happening, it’s worth it to deal which those types of people. You disagree and that’s fine.
This is one of those divisive issues that will always have people on either side with strong emotions.
I don't believe the innocent and guilty should be thrown in together for punishment, especially death, even if it means the guilty won't be punished as much as they could be. What if the falsely accused was one of your relatives? Or someone who would have had a bright future ahead of them? Although that's irrelevant, as a human life is a human life.

I am against it. What if a unknown create appears from the woods and has a white hat and blue skin and is not known about at all

what if it mass murders a whole country?? what you going to due. put the poor little wood smurf up for trial and murder it??
what about all the known mysteries you can learn from it?? what if you can create a little woof smurf family!?!? that would be so cute

I don't believe the innocent and guilty should be thrown in together for punishment, especially death, even if it means the guilty won't be punished as much as they could be. What if the falsely accused was one of your relatives? Or someone who would have had a bright future ahead of them? Although that's irrelevant, as a human life is a human life.

Your statement makes it seem that the system knows someone is innocent and throws them in with the guilty. But that’s not how it works. As I think you know, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Once they are proven guilty they are punished. Sometimes innocent people are found guilty but it’s the exception, not the rule.
Just so you know, I completely understand your position and part of me agrees that it’s horrible if an innocent person is accidentally found guilty. But the other part of me thinks that the risk is worth it in order to permanently remove certain individuals.

Your statement makes it seem that the system knows someone is innocent and throws them in with the guilty. But that’s not how it works. As I think you know, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Once they are proven guilty they are punished. Sometimes innocent people are found guilty but it’s the exception, not the rule.
Just so you know, I completely understand your position and part of me agrees that it’s horrible if an innocent person is accidentally found guilty. But the other part of me thinks that the risk is worth it in order to permanently remove certain individuals.
I just don't understand how you think it's okay to systematically kill innocent people in any circumstance.

I just don't understand how you think it's okay to systematically kill innocent people in any circumstance.

Again, you’re inferring that the system knows they are innocent and “systematically” kills them anyway. That’s not correct. Life is about risks. I’m saying I’m willing to risk being wrongly convicted if it means removing the worst of humanity. If no one else agrees with me then capital punishment will be abolished. As I’ve said multiple times, I’m torn on this issue.

Again, you’re inferring that the system knows they are innocent and “systematically” kills them anyway.
It doesn't matter if the "system" knows they're innocent or not. There will still be innocent people caught up in this. If your kid was one of those people would you still think it's worth killing innocent people to use the death penalty?

It doesn't matter if the "system" knows they're innocent or not. There will still be innocent people caught up in this. If your kid was one of those people would you still think it's worth killing innocent people to use the death penalty?

As I said, innocent people get caught up in things all the time. Life isn’t perfect. Life isn’t fair. Life is messy. And yes, I think it’s a risk I’m willing to take if it means permanently deleting certain sub-human people. We each need to make that decision for ourselves and vote accordingly.

As I said, innocent people get caught up in things all the time. Life isn’t perfect. Life isn’t fair. Life is messy. And yes, I think it’s a risk I’m willing to take if it means permanently deleting certain sub-human people. We each need to make that decision for ourselves and vote accordingly.
However that doesn't mean we should allow innocent people to continue being caught up in things when it can be avoided. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this.

However that doesn't mean we should allow innocent people to continue being caught up in things when it can be avoided. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this.

Like I said I’m torn on this. I hate the idea of innocent people being wrongly convicted. But even if we take the DP out of the conversation. You still have innocent people being sent to jail. So do you have a solution for that? I know it’s to fix the system. But how?

Like I said I’m torn on this. I hate the idea of innocent people being wrongly convicted. But even if we take the DP out of the conversation. You still have innocent people being sent to jail. So do you have a solution for that? I know it’s to fix the system. But how?
No I don't have a solution for that, but putting innocent people in jail, which can be undone, is better than killing them imo. In my view, it would be worthwhile to try to improve the justice system rather than increasing penalties.

The real question isn't do some people deserve to die-

The real question is, does society have the right to take a life.

The real question isn't do some people deserve to die-

The real question is, does society have the right to take a life.

Good point. And yes, the way our society is set up we have laws and we agreed that society can punish those people who break the law and for the most extreme cases we have agreed that the punishment in those cases is death. This goes back to the medieval period and continues through history. Even the Bible says an eye for an eye.
Obviously we have struggled with the dichotomy of saying that killing someone is wrong and to punish you we are going to kill you. I think that’s why you see many states here repealing capital punishment.

No one really knows what happens when we die hence killing them could actually be rewarding them, if there is an afterlife. Also when people on death row are killed by lethal injection it's relatively quick and that includes for the people who are there for the worst crimes.

There are some innocent people on death row. It's basically people killing people because they killed people. I'm against it.

Last edited by a moderator: