In another thread, a staff member said, "It is your responsibility to know the rules." However, is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelleyN

Banned
Memorize the rules verbatim and you still don't know the rules because they are always evolving and there are judgement calls where the staff, administration, and moderators will disagree. For example, this photo of this 14 year old KPop singer that is very popular with adolescents. .

Is that a sexualized photo? Some would say so making it sexualization of minor. Even so, removing it will not protect the 13 year olds on this site, because that is what they watch all the time; ALL THE TIME; all the time. Moreover, let's not debate if this example is inappropriate because whether this example is or is not inappropriate, there are other photos that are judgement calls and always will be.

Therefore, in my opinion, the only sure way of following the rules is, "If there is any doubt, don't." Are there other opinions on how to know and follow the rules?

winter from kpop group aespa is 22 not 14 😳
You might be right, I have as a very small image that stated age 14, so I searched for similar larger images and I thought she was the same. Regardless, it doesn't change the point of the thread which is there can be disagreements regarding what is appropriate and how should we follow the rules.

Last edited:
Fair question. I agree there are the written rules and then there are situations that are β€œgrey areas” because not every single example or scenario are written in the rules. But in general, it is possible to review the written rules and have a pretty good idea of what is allowed and not allowed in each room. And there’s no need to memorize them because you can easily just refer back to them whenever you need to.

In the case of those β€œgrey area” situations, the moderators should consult with the team (including the room admin and sometimes above them) and come to a consensus on how those should be handled, as they come up. Also, as a chatter, if you aren’t sure about something you can always reach out to a moderator of the room and ask them before you post something.

Fair question. I agree there are the written rules and then there are situations that are β€œgrey areas” because not every single example or scenario are written in the rules. But in general, it is possible to review the written rules and have a pretty good idea of what is allowed and not allowed in each room. And there’s no need to memorize them because you can easily just refer back to them whenever you need to.

In the case of those β€œgrey area” situations, the moderators should consult with the team (including the room admin and sometimes above them) and come to a consensus on how those should be handled, as they come up. Also, as a chatter, if you aren’t sure about something you can always reach out to a moderator of the room and ask them before you post something.
Your suggestion to reach out to moderator is outstanding and maybe the best possible answer. However, if a grey area, another moderator might have a different opinion and may not know if another moderator approved. I think that highly unlikely but possible. In any event, thank you for suggestion. I really like it.

Last edited:
You might be right, I have as a very small image that stated age 14, so I searched for similar larger images and I thought she was the same. Regardless, it doesn't change the point of the thread which is there can be disagreements regarding what is appropriate and how should we follow the rules.
i didnt mean ur post is wrong just ur example is actually winter her stage name or min-jeong kim and shes 22.

i didnt mean ur post is wrong just ur example is actually winter her stage name or min-jeong kim and shes 22.
It all good except I don't like making such obvious mistakes. Because I wanted to include "making it sexualization of minor," in my thread, I Googled for a suggestive image of a KPop girl that was very young. Written across the photo was "Pop do's who debuted at a young age" and the description below the photo said age 14. Looking at both photos; same hair, same clothes so it must be the same girl. However, what I didn't consider or even thank about, it could be recent photo and just stating that she debuted at age 14.

Your suggestion to reach out to moderator is outstanding and maybe the best possible answer. However, if a grey area, another moderator might have a different opinion and may not know if another moderator approved. I think that highly unlikely but possible. In any event, thank you for suggestion. I really like it.

You’re very welcome. As to your comment above, that’s why it’s very important for the team of mods and admins to have a clear and consistent line of communication, so when a decision is made, all the room staff are aware and can enforce it consistently.

im barely even responsible for myself, let alone responsible for knowing some meaningless rules in an ancient chatroom on the internet

Im assuming this is about General Chat? Before I became admin, there was no rules at all specifically about sexualized images of minors in General Chat. There isn't any way to give a clear definition - the room staff know it when they see it, and as long as they are fair- they are on the square with what the site expects.

Each case is different, and as previously suggested- you can always ask a mod, and can escalate to me if the rule is applied to lax or stringently.

Basically dont post anything too sexual and you're prob ok.

I thought asking a mod was an excellent suggesting. Moreover, it is about general chat, since that is the room I am usually in. However, I suppose it is applicable to other rooms.

That the "room staff know it when they see it" is like when Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart was asked to describe his test for obscenity in 1964, he responded with is famous response: "I know it when I see it."

Last edited:
However, it is impossible to define. Even nudes may not be sexualization of a minor. For example: The photo of nine-year-old Phan Thi Kim Phuc, fleeing her South Vietnamese village in 1972. She had ripped off her burning clothes after the village was hit with napalm. The photo, which was published by The Times and other newspapers three days later, shocked readers with its clarion depiction of the costs of war. The photo won a Pulitzer Prize in 1973.

I'm not required to agree with the rules. I am only required to follow them. Perhaps you know better than the New York Times and other major media, and the The Pulitzer Prize: An award administered by Columbia University for achievements in newspaper, magazine, online journalism, literature, and musical composition within the United States.

However, it is impossible to define. Even nudes may not be sexualization of a minor. For example: The photo of nine-year-old Phan Thi Kim Phuc, fleeing her South Vietnamese village in 1972. She had ripped off her burning clothes after the village was hit with napalm. The photo, which was published by The Times and other newspapers three days later, shocked readers with its clarion depiction of the costs of war. The photo won a Pulitzer Prize in 1973.

that's a bad example,

u know that is literally not the same thing as a nude, right?

something which being part of some news coverage of a terrible war at the time, it was protected by the first amendment, & still is; which is why u can still find unaltered images of that girl fleeing on g00gle...

& that constitutional right doesnt apply on private services / platforms like this, if u for example share that same image in chat u will probablys be banned for it since it depicts a naked minor regardless if it's not in a sexual context...

I'm not required to agree with the rules. I am only required to follow them. Perhaps you know better than the New York Times and other major media, and the The Pulitzer Prize: An award administered by Columbia University for achievements in newspaper, magazine, online journalism, literature, and musical composition within the United States.
this isnt a newspaper from like 50 years ago its a chat site so totally different and im pretty sure even posting that will get u banned here as ur only prize

Status
Not open for further replies.