Is there an age when it is cruel to walk an aging dog?

twixie

Every morning I see a guy with a very old dog...on a piece of rope..

This poor dog is tottering....and struggling to keep up with it's master..

I stopped to pet it this morning.(actually I was trying to give the poor thing 5 mins break!) and spoke to it's owner..

''yes'' he said..''He's 15 years old''

Which makes him in doggy years..105 years old..

Is he being cruel or kind?

And more to the point..would he like to be dragged round the streets, at a fast pace, with a rope around his neck when he is 105??

While yes, it is cruel, there are some factors to consider.

1) Not all dog breeds are alike. Yes, they all age much faster than humans, but some age slower than other breeds. This dog could be older or younger than 105 in dog years.

2) Exercise, of any kind is good. I've seen people walk elderly dogs a lot and when I go and talk to the owner's they tend to say "My dog is still very happy and healthy." All opinion based, but it's better to walk dogs than it is to keep them locked away. Dogs and humans and well, any animal all require exercise to keep healthy and fit. I see elderly people jogging around my neighbourhood and they look happy.

3) It depends on how healthy this dog eats. If it's treated like crap when it comes to food, then no, it shouldn't be walking. But if this owner feeds it the proper foods, then I don't see harm in it being walked.

I walk my dogs almost every day and whilst they come home tired, they are always happy. All opinion based, of course.

It's not cruel to walk an old dog, what's cruel is walking at a fast pace, making the dog keep up with you when you should be walking slow to not make the dog feel pressured to walk fast or stress him out + walking the dog when the sidewalks are scorching hot. Anytime when it's dark is the best time to walk them because the ground is not hot. All dogs need exercise regardless of age.

My great dane has a foot that is turned sideways and he's 6 and a half years old, nearly to the age where he dies of old age, but he still runs around and plays with my other dog and is completely happy.
Trickeh is right about what he said, what the dog is fed + how he is treated does play a big role.

ღSunnyEclipse.ღ(っ◕‿◕)っ♥;4832211 said:
It's not cruel to walk an old dog, what's cruel is walking at a fast pace, making the dog keep up with you when you should be walking slow to not make the dog feel pressured to walk fast or stress him out + walking the dog when the sidewalks are scorching hot. Anytime when it's dark is the best time to walk them because the ground is not hot. All dogs need exercise regardless of age.

My great dane has a foot that is turned sideways and he's 6 and a half years old, nearly to the age where he dies of old age, but he still runs around and plays with my other dog and is completely happy.
Trickeh is right about what he said, what the dog is fed + how he is treated does play a big role.

That's what I mean..let an older dog take it's time..this guy drags it about like it's a six month old greyhound...it looks to me as if it is in pain....but is desperately trying to keep up with it's idiot owner..

I wish I could answer this, but all I have are fish and when they get old I just wait till they float to the top and flush them :/

But I have had dogs in the past and I believe an owner needs to know the limitation of his best friend. How far, how fast can his dog go and only go that distance or speed with him.