Just two of the many exciting emerging tech I am excited about

ZombiUnicornis

Silver Member
It surprises me (actually it probably doesn't) that there is so little excitement on two technologies onthe verge of changing society to an extreme we haven't see so far.

The first one I would have thought anyone who is serious about getting off fossil fuels is the recent break through in fusion. I know of at least 20 companies in the USA currently who are gearing up as a result of this break through, we could see operating fusion generation stations within 10 years(assuming politics stays out of it).

Fusion means unlimited cheap nonpolluting and safe power generation. Once a plant is built theyestimate it will say in the USA cost $0.08 USD per person per year to generate enough power for all of the requirements of that country.

The second piece of tech that there is currently a race to iron out the of a general version (there are versions designed for specific problems), that is the Quantum computer.

Quantum computers work at the atomic level, they will make current super computers look like an abacus. These machines the CIA is freaking out about as encryption and passwords will be smashed by these things. It will change how we research everything. They have the power to make medical experiments a thing of the past. We will be able to apply them to any problem we have and find solutions in ways we cant conceive of yet.

Just two things I am excited about...there's so many more...

It surprises me (actually it probably doesn't) that there is so little excitement on two technologies onthe verge of changing society to an extreme we haven't see so far.

The first one I would have thought anyone who is serious about getting off fossil fuels is the recent break through in fusion. I know of at least 20 companies in the USA currently who are gearing up as a result of this break through, we could see operating fusion generation stations within 10 years(assuming politics stays out of it).

Fusion means unlimited cheap nonpolluting and safe power generation. Once a plant is built theyestimate it will say in the USA cost $0.08 USD per person per year to generate enough power for all of the requirements of that country.

The second piece of tech that there is currently a race to iron out the of a general version (there are versions designed for specific problems), that is the Quantum computer.

Quantum computers work at the atomic level, they will make current super computers look like an abacus. These machines the CIA is freaking out about as encryption and passwords will be smashed by these things. It will change how we research everything. They have the power to make medical experiments a thing of the past. We will be able to apply them to any problem we have and find solutions in ways we cant conceive of yet.

Just two things I am excited about...there's so many more...
I hope you’re right but unfortunately here in the States experts have said it’ll take decades for fusion power to become a reality as a useful means of power generation. I hope we see it in our lifetime. To harness the power of a Star is quite frankly provocative. It would change humanity in ways we know not what. However I do think politics and the scumbags who are on the take from the fossil fuel lobby would do what they have always done, which is hold progress and thus humanity back.

The problem with technology is that it is all sold as a lie.

EVs are environmentally friendly and cost effective
fusion is safe and cheap

Problem with technology is it is very very short sighted at best.

I hope you’re right but unfortunately here in the States experts have said it’ll take decades for fusion power to become a reality as a useful means of power generation. I hope we see it in our lifetime. To harness the power of a Star is quite frankly provocative. It would change humanity in ways we know not what. However I do think politics and the scumbags who are on the take from the fossil fuel lobby would do what they have always done, which is hold progress and thus humanity back.
The one thing I have learnt over the past 4 years is experts are wrong just as often as right. I saw a a professor of nuclear physics the other day he expects operating fission plants within 10 years. the plants wont take as long to get online as a nuclear plant. The only possible hinderance to this is governments.

The problem with technology is that it is all sold as a lie.

EVs are environmentally friendly and cost effective
fusion is safe and cheap

Problem with technology is it is very very short sighted at best.
EV are not the future as if we were to go full ev by 2050 we would have to triple the production of most of the minerals required to build them including copper. Humans have never tripled production of anything that was already in mass production in such a short period of time.

Fusion because of the way the reaction works is inherently safe, I dont have the space to give you the full explanation of it but essentially the reaction shuts down if things go out of a very small window of conditions. This is why so much has been spent on trying to solve the power output problem. For decades we have know it would become our ultimate power source.

Here's where I am with hype tech right now. I mean yes, good solutions are necessary but technology is neutral. You never know what future problems where creating in solving needs now.

Although yes, technology can be amazing and I'm really excited for augmentation.
That was interesting. Thanks