Old But New

CelestialMama

Old to forums.
New to this forum in particular.

---
Can call me Mama, Moxxi, or Echo.
They/Them
Queer, Indigenous Artist from Australia.

My hobbies and interests include: art, monsters, video games, music, animals,
food, roleplay, and more.

Fave animals are hyenas and horses.
hyena GIF

I'm pretty quiet, but almost always down to chat.

Dunno how active I'll be on here though.
Honestly I'll probably just lurk most of the time.

✌️😊​

Hyenas are misunderstood? I’ll be waiting for the HLM movement to get underway

Hyenas are misunderstood? I’ll be waiting for the HLM movement to get underway
Misunderstood in the way that they have been portrayed in media, specifically the most well known species.

Spotted Hyenas, the ones that most know — the hyenas from the lion king and such — are known to most as scavengers and cowardly things that are just a nuisance.

Truth though is that Spotted Hyenas hunt 80-95% of their own prey and Lions actually are known to scavenge off of them more than the other way around.
They're incredibly smart animals that have shown the ability to work together to reach an end goal, and are incredibly family orientated. Hyena clans are matriarchal in nature, to the point that even the smallest of female cubs are higher ranking than the highest ranking males. Female Spotted Hyenas are also larger, and said to produce more testosterone than the males, and have some of the weirdest, and in my opinion coolest, anatomical setup when it comes to their genitals. They have a pseudo-penis, and pseudo-scrotum. There is no outer entrance to the vagina. Only way to get there is through the pseudo-penis, which is actually just an enlarged clitoris that looks and acts like a penis. But that also means that birthing has to happen through there as well. 😬

Also, the laughing sound that Spotted Hyenas make is actually a sound of anxiety and stress, and will mostly be heard when there is a threat or around food. Example: https://www.*******.com/watch?v=FQaSRKP8Dho

Besides Spotted Hyenas, there are actually three other Hyena species that we actually don't know as much about:
- Brown Hyena
- Striped Hyena
- Aardwolf

Brown and Striped Hyenas are more on the scavenging end than Spotteds.
Aardwolves are actually insectivores and their main food is Termites.

From the Hyena wiki page for visual reference:

1280px-Hyaenidae_Diversity.jpg

Hyenas are actually part of the feliformia family!
They're not felines, but they are "cat-like" carnivores.
I ain't on the dog side. XD
I'll take your word for that, because the only hyenas I know are the two-legged kind (before you ask @Finn2.0 , I was NOT thinking about you... ok, maybe just a little)

They still look a little more dog-ish and less cat-ish to me, though.

I'll take your word for that, because the only hyenas I know are the two-legged kind (before you ask Finn2.0, I was NOT thinking about you... ok, maybe just a little)

They still look a little more dog-ish and less cat-ish to me, though.
That’s what convergent evolution does to you. Hyenas only look dog-like cause nature went, “oh, this is useful for what these things do” and that’s it.

Biologically speaking, hyenas are closer to cats than dogs, but even then they are not all that close to cats either, even though they fall under the feliformia family. They’re more closely related to mongoose and civets, and belong to their own little niche of Hyaenidae.

The picture for Feliformia from the wiki
Suborder_feliformia.JPG

Caniformia
Caniformia_2021_Montage.jpg

And just for some fun, here’s the Ungulates(hoofed animals)
Clade_Ungulata_Two_Orders.jpg

That’s what convergent evolution does to you. Hyenas only look dog-like cause nature went, “oh, this is useful for what these things do” and that’s it.

Biologically speaking, hyenas are closer to cats than dogs, but even then they are not all that close to cats either, even though they fall under the feliformia family. They’re more closely related to mongoose and civets, and belong to their own little niche of Hyaenidae.

Suborder_feliformia.JPG

Caniformia

Thank you for the tour around Wild Kingdom - certainly more entertaining and informative than most of the other posts in CA Forums

Old to forums.
New to this forum in particular.

---
Can call me Mama, Moxxi, or Echo.
They/Them
Queer, Indigenous Artist from Australia.

My hobbies and interests include: art, monsters, video games, music, animals,
food, roleplay, and more.

Fave animals are hyenas and horses.
hyena GIF

I'm pretty quiet, but almost always down to chat.

Dunno how active I'll be on here though.
Honestly I'll probably just lurk most of the time.

✌️😊​
lol welcome to forums hun
Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN
Interested Kim Kardashian GIF

Suborder_feliformia.JPG

Caniformia

beautiful pics btw ty