Removing/muting guests in VGC

Mute or Remove guest feature in VGC

• Total voters

Samanhelm

I think that lately in Video Games Chat the amount of guests, or even regular users using the feature to troll has gotten extremely out of hand and excessively annoying.

For at least a week now the same users come in and start fighting with the same people, and if anyone blocks anyone they just fly to guest accounts and start posting under VPN/Proxy. (allegedly not allowed)

It also doesn’t seem to matter what punishment the moderator or admin puts on them because they either log out when they log in or they’ll just roll IP.

I think it is absolutely crucial for a chat that claims to be 13+ has some shred of credibility to that statement. And is not constantly filled with grown adults bickering over the internet 24/7

I have witnessed users/guests come in, see normal conversations occurring, and starting arguments completely at random for no particular reason in general other than to bicker.

The fighting has gotten so bad that I’ve noticed mods/admin logging on less, as well as users.

Guest feature needs to be removed for the time being or we need the feature put on where new accounts/guests are muted when they join and await account verification.

This would also tremendously help in the downtime when moderation/administration cannot log on.

I have seen guests accuse people of all sorts of outlandish things throughout my time here, but this last little while has been different and they are noticeably more aggressive and agitated than they have been in the past.

I don’t think that VGC would be considered a friendly or nice environment for conversation at the moment to put it lightly.

I don’t think screenshots are necessary for this ‘cause it’s a poll but if anyone thinks we should compile SS or screen caps of the recent “guest war” then I would be happy to share my documentation on this subject.

I want to clarify this is NOT a thread for drama nor arguments, it is a poll about the guest feature in VGC and wether it needs to be changed or not.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORD NOT THIS TIME AND MAKE A DIFFERENT THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BICKER, PLEASE!!!! :)

People should stop fighting, learn to take their internet time out, or go with the recent Chat-Master trend of just removing/changing features.

Guests serve no purpose; they just waste server space from me. The guests steal my extra server connection. without the guests. he could even downgrade his server and it would be faster than it is now. This site is about all rooms combined let's say 10k users. 9200 of them are guests. can you Imagine how fast it would be without them waste of space 9200 guests.

You do understand that this is not a public service app, right? It's a privately owned commercial website whos' advertising rates are based on users per hour. Eliminating 9200 users per hour would be foolish at best and economic disaster at worst. The chances of restricting guests is slim to none. And don't misunderstand my feelings; I'd rather see all the guest accounts gone, as I'm sure many others on staff would as well. I'm just a realist and I know it ain't gonna happen.

@David NY - I agree with you on the realism bit. I think we all want what's good for the site. There are some additional things to point out about what you brought up, though. Just because there are X guests doesn't mean that preventing guests from posting would eliminate X guests. A great deal of those guests would probably stick around and simply not post (like they likely do anyway, just lurking). Another great deal of them would probably take that as a sign to register as a User if chat really means anything to them.

There would be a drop in guest traffic. There would also be a much larger drop in guests breaking rules (zero), leading to an increase in traffic from Users. I think it'd be worth it, especially in the long run.

Maybe just have all guests inherently be room-muted on login and still allow them to PM, to start with.

We don’t have that many users in VGC…. It’s a small community, with a recent influx of large scale trolling. That’s why I think we should enable the new account mute feature there to keep it under control.

You do understand that this is not a public service app, right? It's a privately owned commercial website whos' advertising rates are based on users per hour. Eliminating 9200 users per hour would be foolish at best and economic disaster at worst. The chances of restricting guests is slim to none. And don't misunderstand my feelings; I'd rather see all the guest accounts gone, as I'm sure many others on staff would as well. I'm just a realist and I know it ain't gonna happen.
Sure, but most of the guests are trolls or bot accounts that try scam you. there's not much that will be lost. They would just make bots with accounts; trolls would just make accounts. It would sort of the problem with people just logging in as guests every time, over and over and nothing can be done. I also hinder other people's experience because they all waste server space.
No guests would make this entire site 10x better.