Respecting you or not knowing?

TheGreatMane

Gay Chat Mod
Staff member
I have a question,

Do yall think with cases of parents not knowing their son or daughter are queer, are they pretending they don't know so they can respect their time and decision for them to come out to them or is it because they really don't know?

I believe in most cases, the parents is respecting them by waiting for them to be comfortable enough to come out to them

I think a lot of parents do know and that they pretend not to know for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes it’s a matter of respect as you say but there are other times when it’s still a case of parents not wanting to accept they have a non-straight kid whether that’s because of how others might perceive them or that they had different wishes for their kids.

Good topic btw.

There's many reasons, I do think sometimes it is out of respect - My mother and my father knew my oldest brother was gay but let him tell them in his own time so he never felt forced or confused, they just made sure to let him know that they would never feel any differently whatever he did kind of thing, but I do have friends whose parents are in denial and just don't mention it or avoid it, one friend's parents even diverted conversations where he wanted to speak about it and are only just now after 10 years speaking to him again, still avoiding the subject of his sexuality.

Each person/parent/child have different reasons behind not talking about it and it's a very personal thing to approach from both sides, unfortunately, that doesn't always mean it's a good response, but fortunately, it's not always a bad response.

I think a lot of parents do know and that they pretend not to know for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes it’s a matter of respect as you say but there are other times when it’s still a case of parents not wanting to accept they have a non-straight kid whether that’s because of how others might perceive them or that they had different wishes for their kids.

Good topic btw.
Appreciate the response bro, I remember when i came out to my mom and she was not shocked at all she said "I suspected it since you were a young child" since I came out at 17. but yeah you right, many do wanna be in denial, I think overall, more parents know than not know.

There's many reasons, I do think sometimes it is out of respect - My mother and my father knew my oldest brother was gay but let him tell them in his own time so he never felt forced or confused, they just made sure to let him know that they would never feel any differently whatever he did kind of thing, but I do have friends whose parents are in denial and just don't mention it or avoid it, one friend's parents even diverted conversations where he wanted to speak about it and are only just now after 10 years speaking to him again, still avoiding the subject of his sexuality.

Each person/parent/child have different reasons behind not talking about it and it's a very personal thing to approach from both sides, unfortunately, that doesn't always mean it's a good response, but fortunately, it's not always a bad response.
yeah, it's a shame it's still a touchy subject but breaking social norms take a long time, and just like how people thought differently about multiple things hundreds of years ago, its gonna take a while for people to not be shocked or disgust about people being queer, its still a new change, despite people saying homosexuality has been around for thousands of years, its not like it was accepted, it was in secrect.

my mom is 100% pretending she doesn’t know,

like she has to know something;

i mostly only hang out with girls, my only guy friends are just my redneck cousins, & i hasnt brought a strange boy home since i was a junior in high school…

💁🏼‍♀️

my mom is 100% pretending she doesn’t know,

like she has to know something;

i mostly only hang out with girls, my only guy friends are just my redneck cousins, & i hasnt brought a strange boy home since i was a junior in high school…

💁🏼‍♀️
You mostly hang out with girls dude? Let me get this straight u are a lesbian but hate LGBT people.....hummm makes sense to me.

You mostly hang out with girls dude? Let me get this straight u are a lesbian but hate LGBT people.....hummm makes sense to me.

i dont hate lgb,

i hate the nonsense that follows, & i am very deliberate about that l0l

sry im not a boot-licker like u that lets my sexuality define me as a person, ur a major tool l0l

ironic though, u want to go around touting how everyone is a bigot, but at the sametime act like just bc im a lesbian i automatically has to be accepting of transexuals l0l thats ignorant af, fr fr

me & the rest of the gay republicans in texas are laughing at u for being such a total NPC

haley ‘24, baby

i dont hate lgb,

i hate the nonsense that follows, & i am very deliberate about that l0l

sry im not a boot-licker like u that lets my sexuality define me as a person, ur a major tool l0l

ironic though, u want to go around touting how everyone is a bigot, but at the sametime act like just bc im a lesbian i automatically has to be accepting of transexuals l0l thats ignorant af, fr fr

me & the rest of the gay republicans in texas are laughing at u for being such a total NPC

haley ‘24, baby
So why are you coming here as a woman when everybody knows you are a man?

So why are you coming here as a woman when everybody knows you are a man?

monkey-puppet-omg-shock-gif.gif