Should there be a world-wide "blanket" age of consent?

Should there be a world-wide "blanket" age of consent?

• Total voters

Louize

Gold Member
As in, should the world agree on a singular age to be set for the age of consent?

For background - The AOC ranges from 11 to 21 around the world, with some countries not even having an AOC but suggesting marriage before sexual intercourse (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Libya, Iran etc) and some countries have recently changed their AOC from 13 to 16 (Japan). It's interesting that in a lot of countries you are able to legally be sexually active before you are legally allowed to consume alcohol.

Would having one world-wide AOC be beneficial if so, what age do you suggest, and what is your reasoning behind your answer?

Who would decide and enforce this?
Why stop at AOC, when some ultimate power can govern every aspect of law?

There is a reason the world is always in conflict.
Everyone has different cultural, religious, and societal beliefs.

200.gif

Cows Alps GIF by MeinMontafon

Who would decide and enforce this?
Why stop at AOC, when some ultimate power can govern every aspect of law?

There is a reason the world is always in conflict.
Everyone has different cultural, religious, and societal beliefs.

And how many times to people use culture to excuse their behaviour in a country that isn't lawed by that same culture?

Do you think a 12 or 13 year old is developed enough to understand and partake in sex willingly? And if they are, why can't they then drink at 12 or 13 since they are so developed?

I believe
  1. Anyone under 18 is a child and shouldnt be having sex or drinking alcohol.
  2. We shouldnt force other people to adhere to our (or one)culture when they have their own. That is called forced assimilation.
Your culturual, religious or societal views shouldnt be forced upon any person. Being priviliged enough to be born in the United States you probably dont think children should be working at such a young age either. If you were born into poverty in a third world country you would probably disagree and be peeling coconuts off a 40 foot tree to try and make a living.

How would you feel if you were forced to follow these AOC and Marriage laws in the US?
Youd probably say NO thats outrageous! Why should i have to follow THEIR laws!?

Thats how they probably feel. It is forced extinction. Cultural Cleansing.

I believe
  2. We shouldnt force other people to adhere to our (or one)culture when they have their own. That is called forced assimilation.
Your culturual, religious or societal views shouldnt be forced upon any person. Being priviliged enough to be born in the United States you probably dont think children should be working at such a young age either. If you were born into poverty in a third world country you would probably disagree and be peeling coconuts off a 40 foot tree to try and make a living.

How would you feel if you were forced to follow these AOC and Marriage laws in the US?

Do you think exposing kids to your nudes is unsavory behavior?

For reference to this forum.

I believe

... I wasn't born in the United States, by the way.

And I doubt those kids in those other cultures can consent to sex at 13, either. Shouldn't kids be protected from that?

Let's spin it a different way, because how often is culture used to defend it happening in countries where it's illegal, or girls being sent back to counties before they've finished school to be child brides... What reason is there for a 12/13/14 year old to be engaging in sexual relationships? Even younger in some counties as I've previously mentioned.

Because let's not get it twisted, even in impoverished countries, there's a whole lot of women living past the age of 18.

Asking if something should be done - that can't be done- for reasons too numerous to list i'd say no although (Bread did a decent job of it.)

Last edited:
This post on this website lol…

The AOC is not something we should be dating.

Date people your own age, or make sure they are adults. End of story.

This post on this website lol…

The AOC is not something we should be dating.

Date people your own age, or make sure they are adults. End of story.

The AOC is not something we should not be debating on this website. Opinion. Do not edit.

And I doubt those kids in those other cultures can consent to sex at 13, either. Shouldn't kids be protected from that?

Let's spin it a different way, because how often is culture used to defend it happening in countries where it's illegal, or girls being sent back to counties before they've finished school to be child brides... What reason is there for a 12/13/14 year old to be engaging in sexual relationships? Even younger in some counties as I've previously mentioned.

Because let's not get it twisted, even in impoverished countries, there's a whole lot of women living past the age of 18.
Just curious would you rather your child die at the age of 13 or get married at 13?

As in, should the world agree on a singular age to be set for the age of consent?

For background - The AOC ranges from 11 to 21 around the world, with some countries not even having an AOC but suggesting marriage before sexual intercourse (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Libya, Iran etc) and some countries have recently changed their AOC from 13 to 16 (Japan). It's interesting that in a lot of countries you are able to legally be sexually active before you are legally allowed to consume alcohol.

Would having one world-wide AOC be beneficial if so, what age do you suggest, and what is your reasoning behind your answer?

And how many times to people use culture to excuse their behaviour in a country that isn't lawed by that same culture?

Do you think a 12 or 13 year old is developed enough to understand and partake in sex willingly? And if they are, why can't they then drink at 12 or 13 since they are so developed?

BREADS FINAL THOUGHTS.

There seems to be 2 issues being conflated in your debate.
One is AOC and the other is child marriage:
  • A marriage doesnt necessarily mean the couple is engaging in sex. (Though its possible they can)
  • AOC doesnt necesarily mean they are consenting to sex with adults (Though your post infers that)
When it comes to AOC: Its simply a definition for when a person can legally consent to sex.
I think your debate is fundamentally flawed because you infer that consent means consent with an adult.
AOC laws focus SOLELY on an individuals ability to consent to sex, not their relationships or age differences.
Numerous countries around the world allow consensual sex with a (legal) adult, but within age thresholds(romeo and juliet laws). Numerous countries also classify anything above that as statuatory R*PE.

When it comes to marriage: As ive stated before, there is a magnitude of religious, cultural, and societal reasons that play a role in the age of marriage. Unless you know what these are, then there is no reason for you or anyone else to dictate how these people should live their lives. While cultural and religious reasons can factor the age of marriage, i think one of the biggest factors are socioeconomic reasons. That is why these "child marriages" whom typically also require the consent of parents are usually more pronounced in impoverished countries. Thats why asked you whether youd like to have a dead daughter at 13 or a married daughter at 13. I dont know where you are from but I am guessing you didnt grow up in a third world impoverished country to ever even fathom a decision like that. The saying goes, “dont judge someone until youve walked a mile in their shoes”

Personally, I dont believe anyone under 18 should be engaging in sex or marriage for a multitude of reasons. Whether that be with "legal" adults or other people whom are also under 18. But the majority of the world already legally allows this.

To say that there should be a singular AOC imposed on everyone in the world would be to say that there should be a singular culture imposed on the world. Therefore i can not answer your yes/no question.

Sincerely, Bread.

Season 5 Kevin GIF by ABC Network

Just curious would you rather your child die at the age of 13 or get married at 13?

How does marrying or having sex as a child compare to someone dying? It's worrying this is your conclusion. How would marriage protect death?

If this is your argument, we need to consider some other facts:
- Developing countries with high birth rates are adding to the cycle of poverty - A higher age of consent would lessen this with less birthing years for each woman.
- Giving birth above the age of 18 lessens the risks of women dying during childbirth.
- Lower birth rates allow a resting period where child dependency is lowered and not only will limited resources be more readily available (think water, food) but it allows for economic growth as there is more available time for working towards improving situations with the now less in demand limited resources. If we are discussing that children work from the age of 12, then by not marrying or having sexual relationships from that same age, they can input more to developing impoverished areas by delaying the chances of pregnancy causing an inability to work.

For the record, women who marry actually lessen their life expectancy, males who marry increase theirs.

I'd rather any child I went to go on to have dies than diddles with a child.

Most of the countries where the AOC is at its lowest pairs young women with older males. A quick ****** will confirm this, Bread, with multiple reports from multiple sources on it.

I'm suggesting the protection of children, as opposed to the destruction of culture. I'm not saying it's even possible to govern this, it's just interesting to see peoples views, and if views change as people move into more multi-cultural areas etc.

This is, in fact, a debate forum, isn't it? You know... Where things can be discussed?

Why have children in the first place if you are poor and just want them to die.

These issues exist because of poverty. Much like child labor exists because of poverty. That's why you never answered that post until I gave my final thoughts, despite being on forums multiple times. You either die because your family can not feed you or you become an "adult" at a much earlier age.

Two biggest driving factors for this are financial security and reducing the economic burden of the family.

The countries whom have lifted themselves from poverty have also "naturally" lifted themselves away from child marriage. That's why (as Ive stated before) child marriage only exists in impoverished countries.

For the same reason child marriage is reduced by government programs giving families incentives, like food and giving them an education. Once the families have this their burden is reduced and the children get educated and have a brighter future breaking the cycle of poverty this breaking the need for child marriage.

Any law imposed in a country from a country which it did not originate from is a destruction of culture.

Clearly you don't know what being impoverished entails and you never will from the comfort your lazyboy and air conditioned home. And clearly you don't have children to say you would rather your child die than have a potential future.

Last edited: