UK's First "Three-Parent Baby"

Louize

Gold Member
The first baby created from three genetic parents has been born in the UK.

To prevent inherited disease doctors created a "three-parent baby" by using a technique known as mitochondrial donation treatment (MDT).

The procedure, aimed at stopping a mother from passing on defective genes in the mitochondria - tiny power plants in cells that supply energy - to her child, involves giving a woman an IVF baby with DNA from three individuals.

Nuclear DNA was given to the child from the mother and father, which define key characteristics such as personality and eye colour.

They were also given a tiny amount of mitochondrial DNA provided by the "third parent".

Full Story: Sky News

Kind of awesome, kind of terrifying. I'm not sure which feeling is winning for me, at the moment. I get how this can be used in so many amazing ways but I also see how this could be used in the most fucked up of ways.

Full Story: Sky News

Kind of awesome, kind of terrifying. I'm not sure which feeling is winning for me, at the moment. I get how this can be used in so many amazing ways but I also see how this could be used in the most fucked up of ways.
I saw this on the news . Not sure what i make of this either , is it "messing" with nature a bit too far:unsure:

I saw this on the news . Not sure what i make of this either , is it "messing" with nature a bit too far:unsure:
That's my thinking. I get the need to eradicate disease on some level... But what happens if it just becomes a way of designer babies... Let alone what the implications of toying with DNA to that extent does further down the line in terms of evolving