Why is the climate changing?

Reports of a sixteen year old girl haranguing the UK parliament over climate change made me think of the theories of Henrik Svensmark. He claims that it isn't carbon dioxide in the air that alters the climate to any great degree. Rather, he believes, it's changes in the sun affecting the quantity of cosmic rays bombarding the earth that's the culprit. It would seem that the greater the number of cosmic rays hitting the earth's atmosphere, the greater the cloud cover. As I sat shivering this morning because it was so cloudy, I couldn't help thinking that Svensmark might be right!

When the sun is less active more cosmic rays reach the earth and more cloud is produced. And seeing that thick cloud can reduce the energy from the sun hitting the earth by up to 50% there is no surprise it has a big impact on climate

Reports of a sixteen year old girl haranguing the UK parliament over climate change made me think of the theories of Henrik Svensmark. He claims that it isn't carbon dioxide in the air that alters the climate to any great degree. Rather, he believes, it's changes in the sun affecting the quantity of cosmic rays bombarding the earth that's the culprit. It would seem that the greater the number of cosmic rays hitting the earth's atmosphere, the greater the cloud cover. As I sat shivering this morning because it was so cloudy, I couldn't help thinking that Svensmark might be right!

When the sun is less active more cosmic rays reach the earth and more cloud is produced. And seeing that thick cloud can reduce the energy from the sun hitting the earth by up to 50% there is no surprise it has a big impact on climate
Who cares we will all be long dead before climate change real or not would do any real damage. It's pointless to worry about in our lifetime.

Who cares we will all be long dead before climate change real or not would do any real damage. It's pointless to worry about in our lifetime.
See that is the problem no one worrying about it in their lifetimes until there are no more lifetimes and this planet is uninhabitable
Not to worry an asteroid will hit the earth or Yellowstone will finally super erupt again and end life before. Sleep sound.

See that is the problem no one worrying about it in their lifetimes until there are no more lifetimes and this planet is uninhabitable
Not to worry an asteroid will hit the earth or Yellowstone will finally super erupt again and end life before. Sleep sound.
Eventually life on Earth will end. It will be in hundreds, maybe hundreds of thousands if humans and Earth get lucky. Realistically, whatever we do to change the outcome ultimately the Earth is not going to last even one million years. If it gets some big luck, it might last another ten thousand years. Any more than that is very unlikely.

yes, i agree we will be long dead before the earth ends. But, it is not pointless to worry about climate changing in our lifetime or any life span at that matter. Do you condemn a healthy and stabilized planet for the future generations ? While we’re still alive why not do the best we can to take care of the surrounding environment we live in for the younger people, wouldn’t that be a great commitment to give back to the world and our time worth spent

I feel there is more to caring about the environment than claiming that nature has intrinsic value. Defending the well-being of the environment can no longer rely on emotional grounds in today's societal standards - many environmental ads used to focus on "the untouchable beauty" of nature, and respecting the Earth simply for being the Earth, that it somehow had its own will or desire.

While I think many environmentalists feel an emotional connection with respecting the planet we rely on (it's much like a parental bond - the world in all of its natural "splendor" takes pretty good care of us humans), they must also understand that it is not a good motivator for those who simply cannot feel that connection with nature. There is nothing wrong with lacking strong emotional bonds when it comes to our environment (we don't all like camping, some people don't like the smell of fresh pine, a warm summer's breeze does nothing to stir their heart), but of course there are other ways than the sentimental in which one can "care" for it.

I say this because I respect the environment on a logical level, rather than a sentimental. I feel that, if we truly care about the safety of our successors, we will do our best to protect what will one day become their home. When I do something within my life that is environmentally damaging, I am foolish to believe that it will never have an effect on any other living, sentient creature. This is, in a sense, more like caring for humans via the welfare of our home.

So, I'd say I care about the environment as a means for sentient beings to thrive. A tree cannot feel emotions, so I'd be silly to think that I care about the environment in order to make it happy. I do care for it on a sentimental basis, but perhaps not my personal sentiment, as I understand that a healthy and abundant environment gives many others joy and satisfaction.

TL;DR - if you don't care about the environment in and of itself, than you can certainly care for it for the benefit of other human beings, present and future.

Yes Henrik Svensmark could well be right but of course they can't make the rich profit from the poor and control them if they tell truth. I expect mr Svensmark will be cancelled soon.

Yes Henrik Svensmark could well be right but of course they can't make the rich profit from the poor and control them if they tell truth. I expect mr Svensmark will be cancelled soon.
i highly doubt Henrik Svensmark will be cancelled anytime soon, unless the federal government lets loose on all the climate change fundings. But, who pays for the fundings ? The public, rich and poor donate money to countries account for the largest share of climate financing. About half of this flows bilaterally from donor to recipient state, largely in the form of development aid. The other portion is multilateral money, meaning that multiple states give money to multiple other states

So, there’s no need to control anyone for that matter, the people willingly donate funds on their own behalf to support all climate scientists across the world because they are investing in a clean and safe surrounding environment. What the people really want is a healthy planet for the future generations, which means no one is profiting and what happens if Mr. Svensmarks does nothing to stop climate change ? Left unchecked, these impacts will spread and worsen, affecting our homes and cities, economies, food and water supplies as well as the species, ecosystems, and biodiversity of this planet we all call home. Unless we act quickly to stop warming the planet, there will be very severe consequences for many, many people. Modern day citizens and people in general who watch the news and read daily newspapers will be well informed about Henrik Svensmark’s work and all of the climate change going on, so it’s unnecessary to cover it up.