Wifi question, please note I am not a computer geek

BlackLivesMatter

Gold Member
I know there are some of you are very knowledgeable about computers. My question deals with wifi. Okay I got wifi already however I have found a new tool that might be effective for some kids that I see for self regulation. It is a tablet. My problem is I go to folks homes and a lot of them do not have internet or wifi. Does anyone know of any wifi devices that I can use outside my home radius? One family I see lives about 16 miles from where I live and the rest of them live much closer.

Anyway please let me know if there is such a wifi device, or if what I am seeking is just not out there.

I know there are some of you are very knowledgeable about computers. My question deals with wifi. Okay I got wifi already however I have found a new tool that might be effective for some kids that I see for self regulation. It is a tablet. My problem is I go to folks homes and a lot of them do not have internet or wifi. Does anyone know of any wifi devices that I can use outside my home radius? One family I see lives about 16 miles from where I live and the rest of them live much closer.

Anyway please let me know if there is such a wifi device, or if what I am seeking is just not out there.

No one would ever think of you as a computer geek .. we all know you as just plain old geek !

I think you need the one eyed dongle :D

Once the extender is connected you can open a browser and type the site address which will take you to After getting your Netgear wifi range extender you can go to and see the instructions to setup your extender there.

Last edited by a moderator:
text
right-arrow.png
text

You can find any manual you need at. I myself found myself in such situations, so I share my advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have this technology called point to point, and can go fairly far, but you need a CLEAR LINE OF SIGHT..

Even low end ones go 5km.

At this point in time the cheapest technology is probably going to be using an LTE gateway.
There are many options but they all serve essentially the same function, being a wifi hotspot.
-They all also require their own plan/SIM

-LTE portable gateways. Think of it like a portable router. You charge it and take it wherever your network covers it.
-In vehicle car wifi, these are hotspots that connect to the vehicles obd2 port, not sure what the wifi range is but if you drive your vehicle to their houses this is an option.
-additional DATA ONLY LTE devices phones, tablets
-extended coverage to your current mobile device. Most devices support hotspot but the carrier can impose limits/restrictions on how much data is transfered unless you pay to upgrade.

you can purchase a 4g/5g wireless hotspot device
it'll take a sim and you can get unlimited plans for data only

it looks like this (this is a telstra hotspot)
it'll provide the entire household wifi connection depending on signal you can get some decent speeds