Gender Affirming Care is a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't think that music or other entertainment forms that glorify unhealthy or criminal behavior could influence young people into doing things they wouldn't otherwise do? lmao

I don't think you understand what "antisocial behavior" means, here --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour
No, I don’t and I don’t think you understand what antisocial behaviour is, because you treat it as though our ideas regarding behaviour aren’t historically changeable, which they are. It is a very simple and basic observation that does not require any form of education, just life experience, unless you’re still very young.

Antisocial behaviour is behaviour perceived to be out of line with the morals or values within a certain society or group.
It is very subjective, as it depends on cultural and societal norms and factors. What was considered antisocial behaviour in the 1880s, isn’t considered as such in 2023. In Victorian times, children weren’t allowed to engage in conversation at the dinner table. They were meant to be seen and not heard and children not knowing their place were considered antisocial. Things have changed, though.

Certain sėxual practices which have now long been decriminalized were considered antisocial but are considered perfectly normal behaviour today.

Swearing on television was considered antisocial behaviour in the 1970s, for instance when Séx Pistols guitarist Steve Jones called Bill Grundy a ‘fücking rotter’. If swearing isn’t part of your vocabulary, I suggest you become a recluse.

sigh... I'm going to weigh in. The topic is actually about gender affirming care, not transgender, and gender affirming care is something I have experience with. For those who don't know, I'm a psychologist.

I am in the minority in my field because I question why we as psychologists give up our duty to diagnose when we see a transgender individual. What I mean is, at the risk of my license, I have to 100% believe a person when they come into my office if they are male and tell me they are female (or vice versa), and then I am required to affirm that and proceed as if it is the truth. My only treatment choice is gender affirming care. No others.

The problem is that I don't do that with any other diagnosis. With depression, anxiety, and so many other issues, one of the main things we try to identify are distortions in cognitions. We spend hours and hours looking at our thoughts and feelings and trying to figure out if they are actually true, and maybe where those thoughts came from.

I could go on and on, but there is truth in the title of this thread. When you go see a mental health professional for this issue, that person is going to affirm the person's identity, no questions asked. I think this is hurting a lot of people.

A friend of mine saw a Hispanic biological male in therapy who identified as a transgender female. Through a bunch of therapy she figured out that his family was VERY Mexican (I'm Mexican, so I know what that means). He liked men, but in his family environment, being gay was NOT possible. In his mind, the only way he could like men would be if he was a woman. When my friend presented this to her supervisor (because we weren't licensed yet), she got a stern talking to. She was told, very clearly, that she needs to affirm her patient's identity as a female and that was the ONLY option. She was told to stop asking questions.

Like you, I totally believe that there is a portion of the population who are transgender. The issue is that we can't even ask any questions to try to help figure it out. I'm really disappointed in my profession in this area. I think we are doing a serious disservice to people who really need help.
Thank you for your perspective.

In the last 3 years I have watch one of my staff deal with Gender Issues and at 40 years old, is finally getting the support that they need so that what their mind thinks and what they see in the mirror match so that they no longer have anxiety attack and melt downs.

I am not going to pretend to know about Gender issues, but being exposed to this has changed my thinking.

My priority is with mental health.

I have struggled on whether to reply to this or not.

I support anyone who transitions, let me make that clear. The trauma they have gone through and then continue to go through is beyond anything anyone who hasn't done it can comprehend.

I've seen transitioning change people's lives for the better - friends of mine have thrived after gender reassignment surgery, they finally feel free. Unfortunately, I've also seen the darker side, where transitioning didn't give the change they thought it would and how suicidal that person became because of it.

I think we should naturally allow children to be who they want to be. I was a tomboy and wanted to be "one of the lads" as a kid, I wore boyish clothes, had short hair, played football..

On the flip side, my eldest half brother is gay, and he enjoyed dolls, cooking, makeup. My father, his mother, and my mother, once supported both of us. When he would dress up in my mother's clothes, it was okay. He wasn't pushed to be anything but a child who was finding himself.

We were both allowed to be children, and that's how it should be - turns out, I was just going through a phase, my brother was just expressing his natural feelings about being gay. We both felt safe doing so. As a developing teen, therapy is where things would be addressed. Gender affirming care should be part of this, sure, but other issues should be addressed alongside it (depression, anxiety, and traumas etc etc). This is a across all ages, not just teenagers. Does the person really want to transition, or are they just more comfortable being more/less feminine/masculine. Are there any other underlying traumas that could be causing their feelings. Make sure people have the help they need before anything happens.

In the UK things are a little different. Anonymoose mentioned that anyone transitioning here has to live as their chosen gender for two years. That includes going into work, and living a "normal" life. It's part of adjusting to life as a trans person. I think that portion does more than any therapy does in people's choice. This is where I've known people who have decided against transitioning, or finally felt more at peace about how they live.

Therapy doesn't have all the answers on all the topics, but it damn sure helps deconstruct feelings and thoughts, and I think gender affirming care should be used alongside other talking therapies. In children? I think therapy is a good starting point if the child is seeming distressed, but I also think we need to remember children are constantly growing and changing and sometimes it really is just a phase. Supporting them gives them the safety of expression, and if you don't feel you can help, then get them into therapy.

Tl;Dr - children should be children but we should accept phases and choices. If it continues into their teen years then progress on to therapy (including gender affirming care) 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have struggled on whether to reply to this or not.

I support anyone who transitions, let me make that clear. The trauma they have gone through and then continue to go through is beyond anything anyone who hasn't done it can comprehend.

I've seen transitioning change people's lives for the better - friends of mine have thrived after gender reassignment surgery, they finally feel free. Unfortunately, I've also seen the darker side, where transitioning didn't give the change they thought it would and how suicidal that person became because of it.

I think we should naturally allow children to be who they want to be. I was a tomboy and wanted to be "one of the lads" as a kid, I wore boyish clothes, had short hair, played football..

On the flip side, my eldest half brother is gay, and he enjoyed dolls, cooking, makeup. My father, his mother, and my mother, once supported both of us. When he would dress up in my mother's clothes, it was okay. He wasn't pushed to be anything but a child who was finding himself.

We were both allowed to be children, and that's how it should be - turns out, I was just going through a phase, my brother was just expressing his natural feelings about being gay. We both felt safe doing so. As a developing teen, therapy is where things would be addressed. Gender affirming care should be part of this, sure, but other issues should be addressed alongside it (depression, anxiety, and traumas etc etc). This is a across all ages, not just teenagers. Does the person really want to transition, or are they just more comfortable being more/less feminine/masculine. Are there any other underlying traumas that could be causing their feelings. Make sure people have the help they need before anything happens.

In the UK things are a little different. Anonymoose mentioned that anyone transitioning here has to live as their chosen gender for two years. That includes going into work, and living a "normal" life. It's part of adjusting to life as a trans person. I think that portion does more than any therapy does in people's choice. This is where I've known people who have decided against transitioning, or finally felt more at peace about how they live.

Therapy doesn't have all the answers on all the topics, but it damn sure helps deconstruct feelings and thoughts, and I think gender affirming care should be used alongside other talking therapies. In children? I think therapy is a good starting point if the child is seeming distressed, but I also think we need to remember children are constantly growing and changing and sometimes it really is just a phase. Supporting them gives them the safety of expression, and if you don't feel you can help, then get them into therapy.

Tl;Dr - children should be children but we should accept phases and choices. If it continues into their teen years then progress on to therapy (including gender affirming care) 🤷🏼‍♀️
THIS.

let kids be kids! They will always express themselves and just accept them and allow them to do so. It causes more harm to restrict kids from finding their feet than anything else.

Certain sėxual practices which have now long been decriminalized were considered antisocial but are considered perfectly normal behaviour today.

Swearing on television was considered antisocial behaviour in the 1970s, for instance when Séx Pistols guitarist Steve Jones called Bill Grundy a ‘fücking rotter’. If swearing isn’t part of your vocabulary, I suggest you become a recluse.
"Antisocial behaviours (sometimes called dissocial behaviours) are actions which are considered to violate the rights of others by committing crime or nuisance, such as stealing and physical attack or noncriminal behaviours such as lying and manipulation." - Wikipedia

No it's not bruh, read the first sentence of the wikipedia article. Also, excessive swearing is a symptom of weak minds who aren't able to articulate their thoughts using proper English.

"Antisocial behaviours (sometimes called dissocial behaviours) are actions which are considered to violate the rights of others by committing crime or nuisance, such as stealing and physical attack or noncriminal behaviours such as lying and manipulation." - Wikipedia

No it's not bruh, read the first sentence of the wikipedia article. Also, excessive swearing is a symptom of weak minds who aren't able to articulate their thoughts using proper English.
That Wikipedia snippet you posted pretty much describes what I posted earlier, just worded differently and very concisely.

You posting a Wikipedia page is a sign of your feeble mindedness. You can’t describe something in your own words, so you quote a Wikipedia article. If you were in academia you’d get fired for plagiarizing.
Furthermore, any fool can edit a Wikipedia page.

Swearing isn’t a sign of a limited vocabulary. If anything, it is a sign of linguistic creativity and having a rich vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.