The recommendation thread

If you're into fantasy series but have already read (or tried to read) everything mainstream, try out

• The Trylle Series by Amanda Hocking ("Switched", "Torn" and "Ascend")
  • The Eternal Eden Series by Nicole Williams ("Eternal Eden", "Fallen Eden" and "United Eden")

Alternatively, if you're into dystopian fiction-style books like The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, The Giver, Divergent, etc, try out

• The Birthmarked Series by Caragh M. O'Brien ("Birthmarked", "Prized", and "Promised")
  • The Program Series by Suzanne Young ("The Program", "The Treatment" and "The Remedy")
  • The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman ("Unwind", "UnWholly", "UnSouled", and "Undivided")

^ I second that. I don't normally like books with magic but this one had me hooked.

Never thought I would actually come across anyone who would have read this book... Anywho I do have another book suggestion...

51F3fsgxkSL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:weed:​

For those who want something tranquil and emotional, Shinkai Makoto's 5 centimeters per second (the light-novel edition of course) might be the one. However, I'm not sure if it's published in English-speaking countries.

Last edited:
If you're into some awkward and cute love stories, I recommend Rainbow Rowell books.

To me, her books are addicting. 'Attachments', and 'FanGirl' were my favorite ones. c:

I recently read 'The Girl on the Train.' I pulled an all nighter just to finish it! If you're into mystery and thriller, this is just your type. :)

I barely read a book, don't like to read but one book I have read in my lifetime that has changed me for the better and has made me a better person was the following.

Ryan White: My Own Story by Ann Marie Cunningham and Ryan White.

I read this book in middle school and it has changed my life. It gave me a great understanding on how hard life can be and how strong a person can be to overcome there battles. I think Ryan was a great person and a hero to many. This book is amazing and worth the read.

I highly recommend the Low/Dark Fantasy trilogy the Night Angel by Brent Weeks, starting with The Way of Shadows.
This series follows Azoth as he tries to become the ultimate wetboy which is basically a pumped up on magic assassin. The characters mostly seem reprehensible in the beginning of the series but grow into heroes in their own right and it is amazing storytelling watching the transformation.

On the other side of the spectrum is the much lighter hearted Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore.
In this novel, we have Milo who has died a LOT. He only has so many deaths before he either finds enlightenment or falls into oblivion but he isn't ready to move on to Enlightenment because he has fallen in love with Death who goes by Susie (because who wants to be called Death?).
This book goes from the far past to the far future of Earth with no set pattern because...reincarnation works that way. Its a truly fun read and I highly recommend it.

Yeah, I know this threads been idle for a few years but its never too late to recommend good reads!

I think I HAVE to recommend this movie, because no one will ever find it spontaneously :hmm:

"Raw" (2016)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently read Octavia E Butler and I must say that i love EVERYTHING written by her and mourn her early death personally. I am especially partial to her novel Parable of the Sower which is about this moment of reckoning where a young enslaved girl starts a religion of her own. It is so very moving.
I am also re-reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine- its such a powerful narrative of illness and trauma. Beautifully weaved.

Man, this has been dead for a while. Shame.
I'm a fantasy gal.
I'm currently reading Ben Galley, Dead Stars pt.2 (mages, dragons, demons). It's the 4th in the series.
I also love:
Everything by Mark Lawrence
The Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff
Everything by Niel Gaiman
Kings of the Wyld, by Nicholas Eames