The recommendation thread

I don't want to make a thread for this, but...

Does anyone of you know, has Pekka T?p?h?nt? (Pelle Svansl?s) books ever been made into an English version? It would be nice to know. The writer/author of 'em is G?sta Knutsson. I just love them, and I think I've read every Svanl?s story already. Now I'd like to read them in English.

I just read (A few hundred million weeks ago) a book called "Howl's Moving Castle".
It was made by a British fantasy writer Diana Wynne Jones. I also read the two other books related to the world of Ingary/Sophie Hatter.

Was very nice book. Good and a funny one, in it's own way.
I heard, that Jones died a few months ago. A sad thing.

HMC was/is also a movie by anime maker Hayao Miazaki. It lasts for over two hours, but if you're into fantasy/animes, I recommend it.

I was very surprised of the differences of the book and the film. Very... Weird, that Miazaki twisted the story.

Of course, movies can't last for two weeks or such. They both are good.

Got to search some more books from Jones. Oh, and, by the way, if someone would have a good "traditional" book, which tells story/stories of kitsunes/samurais/Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Asian stories, then I'd like to hear their names, please.

~ Rione

Rot & Ruin by Jonathon Maberry.
Easily one of the best books I've ever read in my life.

I'll write up a little summary...

Benny Imura lives in a desolate world, with his older brother Tom. A plague struck fourteen years before, wiping out nearly all of the human population.
The pandemic destroyed human life as we know it, and turned this world into a barren wasteland. The infection killed millions and millions; but they came back.
Benny is isolated in a town, hidden from the rising dead. His brother Tom is a zombie hunter by profession, and asks Benny to join the 'family business'.

Outside in the Rot & Ruin, Benny learns more about himself, Tom, and the true concept of fear and death than he ever thought possible. And inside his struggles, he encounters a being far worse than that of a zombie, and this book makes you truly question who the real monsters are in a battered society.

I've been on a huge crime/thriller/suspense novel kick lately.

I started out with Karen Rose, moved to Chris Mooney and now I'm on Chris Carter.
I have Gregg Hurwitz, Camilla Lackberg, Jo Nesbo and Katia Leif to go.

Karen Rose was more suspense than anything. I enjoyed "Have You Seen Her?" and "Scream For Me", however the other two books by her that I read were nowhere near as good.

"The Soul Collectors" by Chris Mooney was awesome, although I'm not entirely sure why I enjoyed it as much as I did.
There were parts that made me go cold and made my skin crawl.
I don't know if it's classed as crime, thriller or just plain creepy; there were slight supernatural elements to it and I came away from reading it feeling like I still had no idea what the hell happened.
Overall, though, it was a well-paced book that kept me up for most of the night.

I apologise for the length of this... I love books and got a little excited about writing recommendations lol. If you'd like to skim over this be my guest :)

If you're into historical fiction, i'd recommend the following two;

'The Outlander Series' by Diana Gabaldon. The first book is called 'Cross Stitch' (or 'Outlander' if you're in the USA, i think). Great series of books well researched by the author. Centering around a nurse named Clare in the 1920s who accidently falls into a time trap and goes back to the 1700?s and has to find her way back home. Very well written and interesting seeing the different perspectives of the times. It even includes real wars (the American revolution is in there) and people throughout history.

'Raiders Tide' by Maggie Prince. If you?re not into large books or serials, this a great little book! i first read it when i was younger and is only about 200 - 300 pages long. Doesn't lack in detail though, the whole way through the book you feel like you?re right there in the middle of the action. About an English girl who falls in love with a Scottish boy in the early 16th century when the two sides did not get along. Very Twilight-esque about forbidden love.

For teen girls, I'd highly recommend;

'Guitar Highway Rose' by Bridgid Lowry. A great story of a teenage girl who runs away from home with a rogue boy she likes...

'Star Girl' by Jerry Spinelli was another of my favourites as a girl. Based around the life of a teen boy in high school who be-friends and falls in love with the new girl in school, who is a little strange... very unique book in the way it was written and set out. If you?re after something different, this is probably your kind of thing.

If you're into classics;

'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden. It has also been made into a movie (which i thought was a fairly good adaptation, considering most of the time the films are always a let down). Based on a true story, follows the story of a young Japanese girl who, after her parents die, is taken away from her sister and all that she knows, and sold into the *** trade. How she overcomes this and tries to find her way back to her sister makes this novel a truly remarkable one I?ll never forget reading.

For something a little less serious and more fantasy/poetry based;

?The Blue Castle? by L.M. Montgomery. One of my all time favourite books. About a young girl who hates her life and upon hearing she might be fatally ill, decides to change her life for the better. An inspiring book both in the life altering sense and creatively. I love this book.

I do realise a lot of the books i read centre around common themes, its just what im into :dontknow: Everyone has their different tastes in books, just like in all aspects of life. I urge you to find what you like and then expand on it by looking at similar genres/authors.. its amazing whats out there when you look!

I could go on and on with other books, but i've already made this too long. Thanks for reading :)

Any Alex Rider Books-Anthony Horowitz
The Five People You Meet In Heaven- Mitch Albom
A Thousand Splendid Suns- Khaled Hosseini

Ladies might take offense to this so they probably shouldnt read it if they are up tight

Tucker max I hope they serve beer in hell
<3333

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kunera
The Rebel Radio Diary - Rupert Mould
But Inside I'm Screaming - Elizabeth Flock
Inanna - Diane Wolkstein and Samuel Noah Kramer
1984 - George Orwell
Like the Red Panda - Andrea Seigel

Poetry
Halfway to Silence - May Sarton
Miss Coffin and Miss Blood, Poems Of Art and Madness - Sandy Diamond
The Tress Just Moved Into a Season of Other Shapes - Jane Munro
Wasteland - T.S Eliot
Selected stuff by William Blake and Anne S.

This is all I have off the top of my head..

'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' -Ken Kesey.
'Catcher In The Rye' -J D Salinger.
'Tobacco Road' -Erskine Cauldwell.
'Wise Blood' -Flannery O'Conner.
'The Shining' -Stephen King.
'Billy Bathgate' -E L Doctorow.

More to come!

'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' -Ken Kesey.
'Catcher In The Rye' -J D Salinger.
'Tobacco Road' -Erskine Cauldwell.
'Wise Blood' -Flannery O'Conner.
'The Shining' -Stephen King.
'Billy Bathgate' -E L Doctorow.

More to come!

Catcher In The Rye, how ENG LIT cliched. :p One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is great, though. P:

-Noughts and Crosses
-An eye for an eye
-Knife Edge
-Check mate
-Double Cross

^ All of them are written by Malorie Blackman, read in that order.

-Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
-Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bront?
-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Hmm, there were a whole bunch of books I loved like the percy jackson series and such but what really comes to mind right now, is... well, i'm quite a chick-flick person so i would recommend books by Meg Cabot. You know, if you're into hilarious chick flicks.

Jinx- Bout a girl who has sucky luck and then moves to new york, where she finds love through her chronic bad luck, the reason for her chronic bad luck, and an evil cousin. I personally liked this because it was a nice easy read and it was funny too.

Teen Idol- I haven't actually read this but I hear it's quite good. It's basically abou this girl who has to baby sit this teen idol who goes to her school. Spoiler, it's not a love story between the two. They have two different love stories.

And the more non-teenage books are the boy series that's
Boy Next Door

Boy Meets Girl

Every Boy's Got one

She went all the way

They'r not about the same people but they're alll related in one way or another and they basically work for similar companies. Oh and the format is pretty unique, I mean, the entire story is written in a series of messages and conversation between people, but you can totally understand what's going on and in lots of people's points of view. plus it also hilarious. They're all love stories, with a whole bunch of work and family related issues.

These are just like a few of her books that come to mind now. might put on the rest later.

God's Executioner (forgot the author's name atm sorry)

is a historical look on Cromwell's take over of Ireland