Do guns protect you, or simply cause violence?

9/10 times you hear about guns it's because a criminal was using one to hold up a liquor store or bank. They shot up their family member who wronged them, or went on a rampage.

People say they are our rights, they protect us, but I just hear more often bad people getting their hands on one, than anyone ever using them for good. You don't need a handgun to hunt or a semi-automatic M16 to hunt. Sure store owners keep them under the counter to scare off potential robbers,

but they're so easy to hide I hate that people carry them around like this is f**ng Mad Max.

I understand the sentiment. Where I live it’s open carry. I saw a guy yesterday walking around Walmart with a handgun on his right hip and two magazines on his left, because apparently shopping for groceries is dangerous these days. 🙄
I’m 100 percent of the opinion that just owning one pulls you into situations in which you would use it, and 90 percent of the people that own them look like they couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
All that being said, I still am a proponent of guns. If you take them away they aren’t going to just go away. They’ll just be had illegally. I would definitely support anyone who thought that there needed to be more strict guidelines for purchasing them.

Oh. And. Nice to meet you immi 👋🏽.
I feel like this is one of those incendiary posts that will have people arguing AD INFINITUM. so. I brought popcorn.
popcorn GIF

least im not scared to go to school. go watch the movie the fallout with jenna ortega in it. but yes its ok to put ur kids thru that as long as u get ur gun rights 💀

Guns are tightly controlled in the UK, so there is little gun crime. America, in contrast, seems to have a lot of guns and a lot of gun crime. This suggests that the more guns there are, the more gun violence there is. I guess when guns are available people tend to use them.

it is a known fact that many more people are shot in America than in the UK. One reason for that could be the fact that it is a lot harder to get a gun in the UK than in America. Right, with that under our belt, let's consider another fact, the number of school and college pupils shot by disaffected students in the two countries. America is way out front. Having a gun makes it very easy to kill, therefore there are more killings than if some other method had to be used

Personally, I believe that responsible gun ownership, coupled with proper training and adherence to strict regulations, can potentially enhance safety for individuals and communities. However, the ease of access to firearms and lax regulations can indeed exacerbate violence and pose serious risks.
Moreover, in today's unpredictable world, insurance plays a crucial role in providing financial security and peace of mind. Millennial Specialty Insurance and their customer service offers a valuable safety net against unforeseen circumstances. While the debate on guns continues, ensuring comprehensive insurance coverage remains essential to mitigate risks and safeguard against potential liabilities.

two magazines on his left
The hell does this man need 3 (including the one I'm assuming is in the gun) magazines for 💀. It takes 1 (maybe 2) BULLETS to put a person down. 3 full mags is wild.

But on about the actual post, yes, guns literally do protect you, and are extremely effective at doing so. It's idiots who decide to miss use them that are the issue. Now, does having the gun make you more likely to commit a crime, "cause you can cause its easier now"... possibly. But that could be said about literally any possible defense item (tazer, pepper spray, hell a funny shaped bat) that you could think of.

People say they are our rights, they protect us, but I just hear more often bad people getting their hands on one, than anyone ever using them for good. You don't need a handgun to hunt or a semi-automatic M16 to hunt. Sure store owners keep them under the counter to scare off potential robbers,

but they're so easy to hide I hate that people carry them around like this is f**ng Mad Max.
I dont suppose you are a hunting expert or have ever been hunting. Yet apparently you know what type of weapon you need to hunt an animal?

krx6wGs.png

I understand the sentiment. Where I live it’s open carry. I saw a guy yesterday walking around Walmart with a handgun on his right hip and two magazines on his left, because apparently shopping for groceries is dangerous these days. 🙄
You must not have read our "walmart shooting" thread.
I stand to reason shopping for groceries IS dangerous these days.
TOExvOP.png
Guns are tightly controlled in the UK, so there is little gun crime. America, in contrast, seems to have a lot of guns and a lot of gun crime. This suggests that the more guns there are, the more gun violence there is. I guess when guns are available people tend to use them.
What a genius analogy. Gun violence can not exist where guns do not exist. Too bad theyve existed for a century, so what do you do about it now?
it is a known fact that many more people are shot in America than in the UK. One reason for that could be the fact that it is a lot harder to get a gun in the UK than in America. Right, with that under our belt, let's consider another fact, the number of school and college pupils shot by disaffected students in the two countries. America is way out front. Having a gun makes it very easy to kill, therefore there are more killings than if some other method had to be used
Knives are also tightly controlled in the UK compared to USA, yet there is more knife crime in the UK than in America. This seems to suggest that violence exists whether or not people have access to guns and knives. If stricter laws are so great then why arent they working in your country?

OIX5vNg.png

The hell does this man need 3 (including the one I'm assuming is in the gun) magazines for 💀. It takes 1 (maybe 2) BULLETS to put a person down. 3 full mags is wild.
The average person is not John Wick or Dirty Harry.

Have you ever seen a police shootout? There is a reason they also carry 3 magazines. A gun is only useful when it has BULLETS in it.

I’m ready to see non lethal weapons that make you feel like you’re going to die. Maybe even wish you were dead type of non lethal weapons. Why haven’t they made the sick stick from minority report yet?

The average person is not John Wick or Dirty Harry.

Have you ever seen a police shootout? There is a reason they also carry 3 magazines. A gun is only useful when it has BULLETS in it.
...in a case of self defense, you aren't going to need 3 full magazines. Unless you are blind (in which case probably having a gun isn't a good idea) you are not going to miss that many shots. An average person isn't going to walk into a supermarket and end up in a large scale shoot out.

COULD it happen? Maybe. But the chances of that happening are slim, and is just being paranoid. Plus, if you, average Joe are going to try and win in a shootout, something that even police take time with, with a full team... as you said, you aint John wick, that would end in disaster

I’m ready to see non lethal weapons that make you feel like you’re going to die. Maybe even wish you were dead type of non lethal weapons. Why haven’t they made the sick stick from minority report yet?
What we need is PRE-CRIME clairvoyants. They will be able to stop a crime before it happens. This will end gun violence. Oh wait did you see minority report to the end of the movie. I guess pre-crime doesnt work either.

...in a case of self defense, you aren't going to need 3 full magazines. Unless you are blind (in which case probably having a gun isn't a good idea) you are not going to miss that many shots. An average person isn't going to walk into a supermarket and end up in a large scale shoot out.

COULD it happen? Maybe. But the chances of that happening are slim, and is just being paranoid. Plus, if you, average Joe are going to try and win in a shootout, something that even police take time with, with a full team... as you said, you aint John wick, that would end in disaster
You are probably not going to need them but when the alternative is lying dead in a pool of your own blood with an empty magazine its proably best to carry extra ammo.

Hate guns, hate knives more. They are horrid in their own way. The UK is more heavy on knife offences but guns are getting more and more punishable when it comes to sentencing.

I don’t think the current state mentality could actually responsibly warrant a gun even with a permit. It would literally be 28 days later without a virus.

9/10 times you hear about guns it's because a criminal was using one to hold up a liquor store or bank. They shot up their family member who wronged them, or went on a rampage.

This is a very controversial and sensitive topic. And it is also a very complex one. So sticking strictly to the original question you asked the answer, for me, is both. Guns can be very effective at protecting people and they can also be used to cause violence. It all depends on the intent of the user.
For some reason, the argument “we need guns to protect us from guns” has always seemed a strange one to me
Similar to the death penalty argument: We think killing people is wrong so if you kill someone we are going to kill you to show that killing people is wrong. (People, please don’t derail the thread, this was just an analogy) ✌🏻

For some reason, the argument “we need guns to protect us from guns” has always seemed a strange one to me
No the argument is you need guns to protect yourself from any substantial threats, be it a violent person with a gun, a drug induced madman with a knife, some deranged person running people over with a vehicle or anything that is a threat to your life and liberty such as a wild animal that can kill you.

nSYLFlh.png

I would indeed say in this day and age it is necessary especially when you have politicians enacting laws that decriminalize people who steal, allow them to **** and do drugs along public sidewalks, and allow them to them to squat in and steal peoples homes.

Hate guns, hate knives more. They are horrid in their own way. The UK is more heavy on knife offences but guns are getting more and more punishable when it comes to sentencing.

I don’t think the current state mentality could actually responsibly warrant a gun even with a permit. It would literally be 28 days later without a virus.
Didnt they just ban zombie knives? I thought the UK has some of the strictest knife laws. Strange how this doesnt seem to curb knife related crimes from happening. Yet OP wants to preach that taking away guns (in this case) is going to curb gun violence.

No one seems to have an answer as to how law abidizing citizens will protect themselves against violent people or groups of people. Sometimes they ignorantly say the police or govt will protect them but we all know they dont have to. They can sit on their phones and hear you scream til your breath runs out just like they did when all the children in Uvalde Massacre were dying. Even if some heroic officer who puts his life in danger wants to protect you, it takes time to do so. Unfortunately they are not as fast as a bullet coming out of a gun thats why you should own one.

It would literally be 28 days later without a virus.
That was such a great movie. And the sequel 28 Weeks Later was pretty good too. And more importantly introduced the world to the incomparable Cillian Murphy 👌🏻
IMG_8721.jpeg

What we need is PRE-CRIME clairvoyants. They will be able to stop a crime before it happens. This will end gun violence. Oh wait did you see minority report to the end of the movie. I guess pre-crime doesnt work either.

You are probably not going to need them but when the alternative is lying dead in a pool of your own blood with an empty magazine it’s proably best to carry extra ammo.
Mops the sarcasm up with a literal mop*

I was half joking just to bring a bit of levity to an otherwise dark conversation.

I don’t disagree with you that humans are and have always been violent bread. Guns really don’t help that though. At all.

Guns are an efficient way to kill things. How else would you define them ?

Seems that if humans really wanted to change we would have to do some rethinking that would tear down ideas that are as old as written history.

Humans carry a reverence for violence that almost borders adulation. It’s disgusting when you think about what it means today, in a world where we have the capability to end many of the worlds problems, and more heroic when you think about it in past terms, as it was a way to provide and protect for your family and kin.

Regardless. If you read the above statements, I wasn’t ever calling for guns to be taken away. Nor was I saying they are inherently bad. They’re just efficient.