Do guns protect you, or simply cause violence?

I’m ready to see non lethal weapons that make you feel like you’re going to die. Maybe even wish you were dead type of non lethal weapons. Why haven’t they made the sick stick from minority report yet?
The police and the military do have these types of weapons. They just aren’t widely available to the general populace. Aside from things like tasers, pepper spray, etc.

What difference does it make killing 10 people in a day vs killing 1 person every day for 10 days. You still end up with 10 dead people.
Except gun violence in America far outweighs the knife deaths in the UK. And it isn’t even proportionate to the population differential.

The whole thing is literally no skin off my nose because I don’t have to deal with the frankly absurd amount of gun violence you have and, in my 33 years living in England, I’ve never experienced any for of knife crime. But I will always find it absolutely insane that a nation suffering from a clear epidemic will still blindly defend the right to own a gun all due to some outdated amendment.

Mops the sarcasm up with a literal mop*

I was half joking just to bring a bit of levity to an otherwise dark conversation.

I don’t disagree with you that humans are and have always been violent bread. Guns really don’t help that though. At all.

Guns are an efficient way to kill things. How else would you define them ?

Seems that if humans really wanted to change we would have to do some rethinking that would tear down ideas that are as old as written history.

Humans carry a reverence for violence that almost borders adulation. It’s disgusting when you think about what it means today, in a world where we have the capability to end many of the worlds problems, and more heroic when you think about it in past terms, as it was a way to provide and protect for your family and kin.

Regardless. If you read the above statements, I wasn’t ever calling for guns to be taken away. Nor was I saying they are inherently bad. They’re just efficient.
So youd have to ask yourself, why were guns invented:

It all started in China around 850 C.E., when Chinese alchemists accidentally created gunpowder while trying to develop a "fountain of youth" potion. The resulting black powder, called "huo yao," was a blend of charcoal, saltpeter and sulfur.

The then-reigning Song Dynasty was the first to have used gunpowder in warfare; they did so against the Mongols, whose constant invasions into the country plagued the Chinese throughout the period.

The point im making here is you cant uninvent the gun. Guns were invented for defense. If you want to remove it from a society it has to be removed from everyones hands not just the common people because that is how you conquer. Needless to say that is never going to happen. You only need to look back at history to see the many genocides that occur because of civilian disarmament.

Except gun violence in America far outweighs the knife deaths in the UK. And it isn’t even proportionate to the population differential.

The whole thing is literally no skin off my nose because I don’t have to deal with the frankly absurd amount of gun violence you have and, in my 33 years living in England, I’ve never experienced any for of knife crime. But I will always find it absolutely insane that a nation suffering from a clear epidemic will still blindly defend the right to own a gun all due to some outdated amendment.
Strange ive never had to deal with "absurd" amount of gun violence" in my 33 years living in USA either. Nor have i experience any for knife crime.

Its almost like it never personally affects you until it does. Just because it doesnt happen to you, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Didnt they just ban zombie knives? I thought the UK has some of the strictest knife laws. Strange how this doesnt seem to curb knife related crimes from happening. Yet OP wants to preach that taking away guns (in this case) is going to curb gun violence.

They did and not at long last. The laws don’t stop it happening. Glasgow used to be knife city now it’s probably London or Liverpool. Everywhere I turn is knives.

Guns though just seems to hit different. I don’t agree with them being used as a defence weapon. Only because the victim is always the one worst off. But I do in a sense- it’s the users of said guns that would concern me.

The far reaching side of this conversation hasn’t even been touched on either.

I really don’t think that most people who advocate for guns to be outright taken away from people even think about the consequences of said action.

It would very undoubtedly cause a civil war. Blood would definitely be spilled over that.
There is no avenue I can think of in which guns are taken away as a right that doesn’t lead to war.

Just a thought.

There is no avenue I can think of in which guns are taken away as a right that doesn’t lead to war.

Precisely why all these gun debates that pop up every week end up the same way. Everyone who is anti gun is quick to say take away guns from law abiding citizens but they cant come up with any logical reasoning on how to remove guns away from those criminals that consistenly break the law and how private citizens will protect themselves against these criminals who currently own guns despite having no right to do so.

Their argument lies with the fallacy that guns would cease to exist if some major gun control reform occured.

Mass stabbings lol. Just imagining a bunch of people in tracksuits with pocket knives pretending to be Knights.

No idea why.

look at all the mass shootings in australia vs usa so far this year:

australia: 0
america: 83 (159 dead, 256 hurt)

now school shootings since 1997 when australia changed gun laws:

america: 1,453 (122 dead, 126 hurt)
australia: 2 (0 dead, 0 hurt)

the two school shootings in australia were: one in adelaide in 2012 nobody hurt or killed, and one in perth last year nobody hurt or killed. both of the zero dead and hurt numbers includes the shooter.

ok gun lovers can try to explain this but these numbers r the same in places like uk where guns r controlled.

look at all the mass shootings in australia vs usa so far this year:

australia: 0
america: 83 (159 dead, 256 hurt)

now school shootings since 1997 when australia changed gun laws:

america: 1,453 (122 dead, 126 hurt)
australia: 2 (0 dead, 0 hurt)

the two school shootings in australia were: one in adelaide in 2012 nobody hurt or killed, and one in perth last year nobody hurt or killed. both of the zero dead and hurt numbers includes the shooter.

ok gun lovers can try to explain this but these numbers r the same in places like uk where guns r controlled.
who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Australia is not America

Australian’s have no constitutional right to bear arms.
The British granted Australia nationhood peacefully where as the United States had to bleed for it to ratify its own constitution with amendments to protect democracy, prevent tyranny and oppression. Precisely why the 2nd ammendment is written in the constitution.

Gun ownership in Australia has historically been drastically lower than US gun ownership. Less guns to cleanup = More effective gun control. Australia has 25million population where the US has 330 million. That is a 1320% increase in **** to clean up.