Do guns protect you, or simply cause violence?

Carrying on with the Australia/UK comparison debate

People in these countries see their government as a public good while in the USA people have a reason to see their goverment as bad. Throughout its existence the US government has been and still is a meddler and an oppressor, not a benefactor. The US had to fight for its rights with blood, thats why the FREEDOM in the USA is much more pronounced than in any European Country. Thats why these "rights" are rights not priviliges. This is why the US is so different from other countries when it comes to gun control.

Gun control is:
Controlling Americans very HISTORY and IDENTITY
Allowing a fundamentally untrustworthy government to disempower the people of The United States.

Thats why gun control will never prevail here and thats why everyone cherry picks poster child of where gun control has worked but nobody talks about the places where gun control has utterly failed:

1911 Turkey guns were restricted and a result one and a half million Armenians were unable to defend themselves and were ethnically cleansed by the government.
1929 Soviet Union established gun control and as a result Stalin’s government killed 40 million Soviets.
1933-38 Nazi germany established gun control where countless of millions of Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, mentally ill, disabled were killed.
1935 Communist China established gun control and 50 million political dissidents were arrested and killed.
1964-1981 Guatemala established gun control and 100,000 were killed.
1970 Uganda established gun control and from 1970-1979 300,000 Christians were killed by the dictatorial government.
1975-1977 Cambodia gun restriction laws prevented people from defending themselves against the tyrannical government who arrested and killed one million people.
1994 Rwanda disarmed the Tutsi people and being unable to defend themselves one million were executed.

War Vintage GIF
Jeff Foxworthy Smh GIF by NBC
Ariana Grande Finger Guns GIF

I read (somewhere) that the UK has had a 23% increase with knife violence from the previous year. Would you consider this to be accurate?

Here are my thoughts. If people are going to be violent, they are going to grab the weapon that will do what they are setting out to do...hurt someone. I have never in my life seen anyone (with exception of law enforcement) with a gun on them walking around with it (outside of hunting) Sure we see people going off to hunt and they have rifles (deer) or shotguns (birds). Each State has different laws. I have heard stories about people in certain states carrying openly. I guess I just haven't seen this violence everyone speaks of first hand.