Reports in Understaffed Chats

Status
Not open for further replies.

FacialConfidant

I think anyone who spends enough time in chat notices that blatant rule-breaking goes off the charts while rooms are understaffed. It's also easy to report enough of these instances to hit the maximum allowed reports per user.

Until a chat is fully staffed, I suggest at least increasing the maximum allowed reports per user (20 might be a good starting place depending on which chat). For a more aggressive approach, I suggest allowing staff to toggle guest posts in the main room off when the last staff leaves and back on when another staff arrives (only allowing guests to post in the main room while the chat is staffed).

🍰

@Chatmaster

Until a chat is fully staffed, I suggest at least increasing the maximum allowed reports per user (20 might be a good starting place depending on which chat). For a more aggressive approach, I suggest allowing staff to toggle guest posts in the main room off when the last staff leaves and back on when another staff arrives (only allowing guests to post in the main room while the chat is staffed).

I can see more reports being better in much bigger rooms, But people will abuse the report feature.
I suggest allowing staff to toggle guest posts in the main room off when the last staff leaves and back on when another staff arrives (only allowing guests to post in the main room while the chat is staffed).

I need more information on this part though. Do you want it where guests cannot speak unless a mod is on? There are features like that, But I don't think there's an option to mute or prevent guests from speaking; In the bigger rooms, They did have a temp mute feature, But I don't know if that option is in 4.0. I can check and get back to you on that.

I can see more reports being better in much bigger rooms, But people will abuse the report feature.

I need more information on this part though. Do you want it where guests cannot speak unless a mod is on? There are features like that, But I don't think there's an option to mute or prevent guests from speaking; In the bigger rooms, They did have a temp mute feature, But I don't know if that option is in 4.0. I can check and get back to you on that.
In General Chat you get about 5 then you are unable unless you log out and log back in and you get more.

...people will abuse the report feature.

Do you want it where guests cannot speak unless a mod is on?

Report abuse is pretty rare and easily handled from what I've seen.

Yes.

In General Chat you get about 5 then you are unable unless you log out and log back in and you get more.

Depending on the situation, this doesn't actually work. And if it does, it's purposeful manipulation of the way chat works. That sounds like something that should be noted by the technical side of the site.

FacialConfidant! Ahahahaha - oh my gosh I'm going to wet meself

The Muppets Laughing GIF

Facials and Confidants - I like it

Saids it all hahahahahahahahahahaha

That guest situation would never happen. However I would love it to and I’m sure some staff would also.

Definitely agree with more reports and also agree abusing the reports is rare. It does happen of course easily deleted when checked if necessary.

abusing the reports is rare.

it's not rare in General Chat. The idea is good in principle, not sure staff would have enough time so sort 500+ flags a shift, it might be a good idea in the large rooms on site though since they already have a lot to sort. No idea if this can be room specific or not.

In the smaller rooms like GC Id add to OP suggestion, a modest increase in flags, and perhaps increase the shelf life- no point in going through 500+ loaded with stale/expired reports.

perhaps increase the shelf life

thats ah weird thing to has a so-called-shelf-life for,

i feel like the only time a report should clear is if an admin or mod actually clears it themself...

the fact they expire at all is bizarre, bc what happens when its some odd ball time where no mods or anything don't come on for hours??? (which has happened / still happens in general chat); where u has someone that is breaking the most vile of rules, then they leave, but since no mods have been on for hours the several reports made about X user's behavior now have expired...

i bring this up bc u has once made a point to me that screenshots are iffy if they don't have a report accompanying them;

fine, fair enough i said...

but now riddle me this 🧐

if the reports expire, & all you got are the screenshots provided to u but u aren't taking them as seriously as they should be, bc the reports that accompanied them has expired...

then how are you effectively investigating anything with no record of those things happening? 🤔

the people want to know

Last edited:
it's not rare in General Chat. The idea is good in principle, not sure staff would have enough time so sort 500+ flags a shift, it might be a good idea in the large rooms on site though since they already have a lot to sort.

In the smaller rooms Id add to OP suggestion, a modest increase in flags, and perhaps increase the shelf life- no point in going through 500+ expired reports.

Thanks for the input on the matter at hand.

To be completely middle ground in this matter, and coming from trying out the mod position…

Modding is is terrible. We ride the line of the rules, we troll, then we taddle.

But I would suggest those with larger rooms, figure it out. It’s why you’re in charge.

The majority of SS don't expire, this is due to the good work of site staff, but a % always will due to the reason OP mentions, there for its an easy extrapolation that increasing the reports (speaking only of GC) will result in in a corresponding increase in unusable reports which would add to the burden OP is suggesting, which is something less than "fully staffed"

So implimented or not- increasing the shelf life could/should be considered. The OP idea is good, im not sure such a large increase is though- noting im referring only to GC. So would allowing room admins to see every report made daily.

edit: 400% increase in reports to sort, many will be user A trolling user B thus exacerbating underlying concern.

in the 4th version it is not there,you can usually find it via the control panel but there is no option for it in the registration area.

and boom said he might add it back tho so theres a little good news.

i feel like the only time a report should clear is if an admin or mod actually clears it themself...

I agree. (Shelf life is probably a bad way to explain *why* reports expire. It's probably due to the reported content itself lapsing before being reviewed due to the limitations of the site itself).

If staff don't have time to action all valid reports of rule-breaking, then there are either not enough staff or too many rules being broken. Either way, muting guests while no staff members are online would reduce the amount of rule-breaking (and make report abuse obvious and easier to handle, if that's the case).

If certain chats have higher abuse rates than others, staff can cross-communicate and learn from each other on how or why things are handled better in different chats.

the fact they expire at all is bizarre, bc what happens when its some odd ball time where no mods or anything don't come on for hours??? (which has happened / still happens in general chat); where u has someone that is breaking the most vile of rules, then they leave, but since no mods have been on for hours the several reports made about X user's behavior now have expired...

In some cases, you can choose to screenshot and send those reports to the admin or mod if it's violating the room rules. That will help with the short-staffed issue in the room, If they are really causing issues screenshotting and ignoring is the best way to handle people like that.

But as H.R. said above, When users delete the messages after causing issues it's not accessible by the staff.

p.s. My solution is to add more staff to the room, Maybe more widespread people who can be on and maintain control and enforce rules of violators.

The OP idea is good, im not sure such a large increase is though- noting im referring only to GC. So would allowing room admins to see every report made daily.

Yeah, the number was arbitrary as I don't know each room's limit. I wouldn't mind if the number was increased by 1, reviewed, and then increased again until we find a happy place.

Having a compiled list of reports for administrators to review is a GREAT idea, though. It would give a lot of data as to how many are expiring and for what reason. It would also give a historical background on who is reporting properly and who knows what should be handled, aiding in the ever-present moderator search. "X person obviously wants to help and knows the rules; let's get them on board."

What types of reports are being abused in general chat? Elaborating would help the fellow admins out in what to look out for (they’re not dense, but different rooms different trolls).

I’d also be querying, if I was an admin, why is the report system being abused? If you identify the target you get the reason.

But that’s just me. Back when I was admin the wronguns, so to speak, weren’t given benefit of the doubt.

No attack on any admin/mod. Just my perspective.

Inb4 bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.