Reports in Understaffed Chats

Status
Not open for further replies.
What types of reports are being abused in general chat? Elaborating would help the fellow admins out in what to look out for (they’re not dense, but different rooms different trolls).

I’d also be querying, if I was an admin, why is the report system being abused? If you identify the target you get the reason.

But that’s just me. Back when I was admin the wronguns, so to speak, weren’t given benefit of the doubt.

No attack on any admin/mod. Just my perspective.

Inb4 bitter.

im always happy to reply to reasonable points bitter or not.

why are reports abused? Users trolling fighting each other. an example is flagging every post an enemy makes. A close relative of this is the user who thinks they have been reported- deletes that. Yet another are those that flag staff for no reason/angry over staff actions or Users removed in one room, migrate and start report bombing in the new battleground etc

But to OPs good suggestion, I do hear a lot of users wanting an increase- so im just adding that a more modest increase (in GC) is a good idea and prob helps avoid a few pitfalls. Reports are most valuable as they settle the issue of users who try and get enemies in trouble with funky altered ss which also happens a lot.

Ok so that’s fair point regarding users trolling. I actually thought you were going to mention reports against mods.

In regards to that, for example, you posted recently about a certain floorpooper taking a ban for her crimes. Shouldn’t that ban have been alongside a ban from general chat? Actions have consequences I’m a prime example. She is one of many antagonists bans can be given to. VIP or not. Chat room is their life, disconnect them it stops. So why aren’t admins/mods doing this in the long run which is possible one way of preventing said report abuse?

What about a warning system for flagging abuse? If there is one I didn’t know this so can disregard.
If mods are getting flagged, there is obviously a reason why. Is it malice? Maybe. Is it genuine? Maybe.

What about other room admins dealing with mod reports. Ideal world would be great then that also eliminates bias.

If guests are only allowed to post while a room is staffed, then I think we'd see reductions in all of the following.
- Broken rules
- "Expired" reports
- Report abuse
- Staff gaps, stress, and turnover

When staff has less to wade through, the things that *are* handled are handled more efficiently. People would ask me why I put so much effort into things that seemed "pointless" to address, but over time, the more things that are addressed in a way that causes reduction in them happening again lead to less things to address overall. Something has to change in order for something to get better. It sounds obvious, but using a spoon to empty a sinking ship of water is better than using a net. And a bucket is better than a spoon. And a pump is better than a bucket. And having a hull that doesn't take on water at all is better than a pump. I'm not suggesting an impenetrable hull (but that's the goal). I'm suggesting we upgrade from a net.

Ok so that’s fair point regarding users trolling. I actually thought you were going to mention reports against mods.

In regards to that, for example, you posted recently about a certain floorpooper taking a ban for her crimes. Shouldn’t that ban have been alongside a ban from general chat? Actions have consequences I’m a prime example. She is one of many antagonists bans can be given to. VIP or not. Chat room is their life, disconnect them it stops. So why aren’t admins/mods doing this in the long run which is possible one way of preventing said report abuse?

What about a warning system for flagging abuse? If there is one I didn’t know this so can disregard.
If mods are getting flagged, there is obviously a reason why. Is it malice? Maybe. Is it genuine? Maybe.

What about other room admins dealing with mod reports. Ideal world would be great then that also eliminates bias.

What about a warning system for flagging abuse?

there isn't a specific one, but a new change is staff can now issue warnings users see (much like rfk) so report abuse can be specified.

If mods are getting flagged,

fair point.

Thats getting into staff business, but at one time room admins (as you know better than most) could go room to room and help do many things the site owners discontinued that for reasons known only to them. ( I think the risks outweigh the benefits of unaffiliated staff dealing with reports in a room they don't use but thats just my opinion) and falls into line with stasff only working one room at a time.

In some cases, you can choose to screenshot and send those reports to the admin or mod if it's violating the room rules.

if the reports expire, & can be exploited, what reports exactly am i sending them???

if the screenshots require reports to back them up, & aren't being looked into because there are no accompanying reports due to them expiring, then what is even the point of screenshotting anything if screenshots are therein now the only outlet, & can't be truly validated due to lapsed or exploited reports???

how is anything actually being investigated, when reports are the only actual irrefutable trace to the staff viewing the report, that proves that the person reported said / did w.e it was they were reported for as well validates any screenshots that we're taken with the reported, expires???

what happens when the wrong person takes this information that reports expire / can be exploited, & starts fabricating screenshots due to malcontent for another user, manipulating the timestamp to reflect a time frame where no mods were active within' enough time for the report to expire in the process???

i hope everyone realizes the massive flaw in the system & it's procedures that @H.R. PufnStuf has inadvertently made public knowledge 🙎🏼‍♀️

if the reports expire, & can be exploited, what reports exactly am i sending them???

if the screenshots require reports to back them up, & aren't being looked into because there are no accompanying reports due to them expiring, then what is even the point of screenshotting anything if screenshots are therein now the only outlet, & can't be truly validated due to lapsed or exploited reports???

how is anything actually being investigated, when reports are the only actual irrefutable trace to the staff viewing the report, proving that the person reported said / did w.e it was they were reported for, expires???

what happens when the wrong person takes this information that reports expire / can be exploited, & starts fabricating screenshots of due to malcontent for another user, manipulating the timestamp to reflect a time frame where no mods were active within' enough time for the report to expire in the process???

i hope everyone realizes the massive flaw in the system & it's procedures that @H.R. PufnStuf has inadvertently made public knowledge 🙎🏼‍♀️

Im not mentioning any mention specific flaw - "Expiring" was intended as a general term the confidant clarifed "shelflife" wasn't the best term to use. It was meant specifically in reply to a good suggestion from OP why they think more reports are needed. Lets keep on topic.

Edit: In fact if reports do "expire" its an indication of what OP specifically mentioned- inadequate staffing for whatever reason.
#2 clarify first sentence

Screenshots should be enough to back up a report? Unless you're cropping screenshots, I'd leave screenshots whole, or else it won't count as anything. But I don't know what goes on in general as its not my room to staff.

There is no flaw. "expiring" was intended as a general term the confidant clarifed "shelf" wasn't the best term to use. It is meant specifically in reply to a good suggestion from OP why they think more reports are needed.

that is a flaw though, don't back peddle on what you just made public knowledge;

the fact reports expire at all, & that only now an increase in their shelf life (which was actually the best term to use btw) is being suggested is frankly ridiculous...

that is going to completely demoralize users from wanting to even use the report feature, bc now they know it's possible that their report could simply expire before the mods, or you can get to it...

if reports expire, how is anything validated??? how do you know screenshots aren't being manipulated if they don't have a report accompanying them, which is exactly what you told me when the whole campy thing was taking place 🍜

what are you even basing one of your so-called-investigations on?

Reports also don't last when the content is removed by the user. (they delete their post for example) that also happens a lot now which works against increasing the report amount 200%

FYI: you cant delete your posts anymore, u can only hide them but the rest of the main chat can still see what u said & ive extensively tested this, so reports can't be exploited or *dirty deleted* as you say; they only expire which makes you a liar btw, bc there is no way you didn't know this l0l :)

Screenshot-2024-04-06-144306.png

Screenshots should be enough to back up a report? Unless you're cropping screenshots, I'd leave screenshots whole, or else it won't count as anything. But I don't know what goes on in general as its not my room to staff.

i think youre misunderstanding me, if the report expires what is now backing up the screenshot???

Last edited:
@babydolla
@H.R. PufnStuf
@Johnny

I think the crux around this debacle is that reports *do* vanish for many reasons. And I don't think this is on the shoulders of people using chat *or* the staff. It's how the site functions on a technical side and it's up to the technical side to "fix" it. Either way, preventing guests from posting while rooms are unstaffed would decrease the rate of this happening.

@babydolla
@H.R. PufnStuf
@Johnny

I think the crux around this debacle is that reports *do* vanish for many reasons. And I don't think this is on the shoulders of people using chat *or* the staff. It's how the site functions on a technical side and it's up to the technical side to "fix" it. Either way, preventing guests from posting while rooms are unstaffed would decrease the rate of this happening.

preventing guests from posting while rooms are unstaffed

agreed thats a tec thing, or something for owners really, In the past they have rejected user requests to mute guests who haven't broken any rules.

ty for the suggestions hopefully something comes out of it. Ill bow out as this is being derailed and off topic.

edit:
FYI: you cant delete your posts anymore, u can only hide them but the rest of the main chat can still see what u said & ive extensively tested this, so reports can't be exploited or *dirty deleted* as you say; they only expire which makes you a liar btw, bc there is no way you didn't know this l0l :)

That's great, simply means I mispoke.

It would also mean there was no point referencing circumstances that existed prior to that change, except to fit an unrelated narrative. Interesting and ty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.