Age Monitoring for #1 Chat Avenue Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread.

Gold Member
Cant say Bread didnt foresee this problem long ago as Bread is a super intelligent member of the chat avenue community.

Now we have another poster claiming just that

ALL users can freely change and hide their age.
But when underage users can do this while they log into a site where they can interact with adults it poses unique problems.

1. Is entrapment situations as presented in the above two links (most likely done by trolls)
2. Is the legitimate inability for adults and children to know the age of who theyre talking to, thus the difference in interacting with them.

The site has more adults than it does children the only logical way of having control over this is to monitor the children accounts, not the adults.

>All people should not be able to hide their age (even though its an option)
>result in kick if they dont comply
>minors in particular should have to comply with additional requirements
>something like creating a forum account (because forum accounts do not have configurable age)
>if they are caught lying about their age, their forum account age can be linked to their chat profile and it should result in a PERMA BAN
jEjoRaD.png

I am in contact with the developer to pursue non configurable age in chatrooms. It serves no purpose.

ALL users can freely change and hide their age.
But when underage users can do this while they log into a site where they can interact with adults it poses unique problems.

1. Is entrapment situations as presented in the above two links (most likely done by trolls)
2. Is the legitimate inability for adults and children to know the age of who theyre talking to, thus the difference in interacting with them.

The site has more adults than it does children the only logical way of having control over this is to monitor the children accounts, not the adults.

>All people should not be able to hide their age (even though its an option)
>result in kick if they dont comply
>minors in particular should have to comply with additional requirements
>something like creating a forum account (because forum accounts do not have configurable age)
>if they are caught lying about their age, their forum account age can be linked to their chat profile and it should result in a PERMA BAN

Users should watch what they say to any user in the room regardless of age. How do you expect people to follow those rules when you want people to 'monitor' the children's accounts? People can lie about their age or sex online pretty easily, Which in some cases is used as catfishing. I don't believe this will change much but add extra steps for good users in the room, Also not all people are willing to make a forum account so we will possibly lose good users from doing this.

(I know this won't happen, or some other reasons. But parents should be monitoring what their kids do online anyway.)

This depends more on the room, Of course, any of the 13+ rooms will have more adults mixed in with children. But the age rooms like teens or kids are heavily monitored and watched out for adults (Does not mean it's perfect). But the staff there I'm sure remove adults from the underage-only rooms.

Let’s not forget that we don’t even have Hardware bans here and you can bypass even a site wide ban with relative ease.

The security for this website definitely needs to be upgraded.

assuring everyone is honest and accurate with their age is a step in the right direction, a step that should be taken.

Users should watch what they say to any user in the room regardless of age.
1. Specifically there is things adults shouldnt be talking to children about like sex.
2. Two consenting adults can talk about whatever they want because theyre adults.
How do you expect people to follow those rules when you want people to 'monitor' the children's accounts? People can lie about their age or sex online pretty easily, Which in some cases is used as catfishing. I don't believe this will change much but add extra steps for good users in the room, Also not all people are willing to make a forum account so we will possibly lose good users from doing this.

(I know this won't happen, or some other reasons. But parents should be monitoring what their kids do online anyway.)
The same way you make everyone else follow the rules. Kick and ban them until they comply. No comply no access. It is not an "extra step" for most users as most users are adults. Youre right that many people will lie and catfish either way, theres no denying that. But there is not one good reason for a user to be able to change their profile age back and forth whenever they want. If there is name it.
This depends more on the room, Of course, any of the 13+ rooms will have more adults mixed in with children. But the age rooms like teens or kids are heavily monitored and watched out for adults (Does not mean it's perfect). But the staff there I'm sure remove adults from the underage-only rooms.
This is different because both kids and teen room are for CHILDREN only. This is not a shared room between adults and children. Therefore the additional requirement would not apply here.

Majority of chat ave is shared age space.

Let’s not forget that we don’t even have Hardware bans here and you can bypass even a site wide ban with relative ease.

The security for this website definitely needs to be upgraded.

assuring everyone is honest and accurate with their age is a step in the right direction, a step that should be taken.
This would require age verification which is vastly beyond the requirements of MOST websites of the internet.
Not to mention these verifications would have to be published to MODS known to be untrustworthy and unverified themselves.
Chat ave is a shared age space and theres no way in hell chatmaster is going to make this an adult only website.

So the only thing that can be done is be PROACTIVE about it and follow Breads plan.

This would require age verification which is vastly beyond the requirements of MOST websites of the internet.
Not to mention these verifications would have to be published to MODS known to be untrustworthy and unverified themselves.
Chat ave is a shared age space and theres no way in hell chatmaster is going to make this an adult only website.

So the only thing that can be done is be PROACTIVE about it and follow Breads plan.
monkey GIF

Some valid concerns by OP. It makes sense that users shouldn't be able to change ages- (except tin the case of an error during account creation)but it could be the site doesn't want the administrative burden of correction god knows how many mistakes, or people feigning mistakes and requesting changes.

Concealing ages? I can see legit why users might not want to show their age- @Chatmaster a reasonable concern by OP perhaps something could be done?

edit: my comment is based on chatroom application, not forums.

Regarding the age thing in forums: I am happy to show my age. If you could set it to β€œShow age, hide month and date” that’d be more feasible.

I can show it on my profile I’m 34 without having to divulge the actual date/month.

Yes that can be fabricated, but when they come complaining? Then it’s literally their own fault for being banned for alts.

Plus it would also maybe help new forums users decide who they wish to engage with especially games forum where it is popular

Concealing ages? I can see legit why users might not want to show their age- @Chatmaster a reasonable concern by OP perhaps something could be done?
This being what though? The only reason i can think of is "right to privacy" but not having an age also poses a safety risk for both types of users. Specially in rooms that have strict age requirements (all of them)

I cant think of any other valid reasons for anyone to be able to hide their age because the age can just be faked to begin with.
Same goes for being able to change it.

Regarding the age thing in forums: I am happy to show my age. If you could set it to β€œShow age, hide month and date” that’d be more feasible.

I can show it on my profile I’m 34 without having to divulge the actual date/month.

Yes that can be fabricated, but when they come complaining? Then it’s literally their own fault for being banned for alts.

Plus it would also maybe help new forums users decide who they wish to engage with especially games forum where it is popular
Well this post is regarding to the chatrooms only since thats where the majority of traffic is and where the problem lies.
In forums you cant change it once you register, though you can still hide it.
Difference here is user engagement is not nearly as frequent or as personal as in a chatroom.

This being what though? The only reason i can think of is "right to privacy" but not having an age also poses a safety risk for both types of users. Specially in rooms that have strict age requirements (all of them)

I cant think of any other valid reasons for anyone to be able to hide their age because the age can just be faked to begin with.
Same goes for being able to change it.

Well this post is regarding to the chatrooms only since thats where the majority of traffic is and where the problem lies.
In forums you cant change it once you register, though you can still hide it.
Difference here is user engagement is not nearly as frequent or as personal as in a chatroom.

Bread you have been busted by the UMs logging in as multiple people of multiple ages πŸ˜‚β€¦

Oh totally but those age shared rooms such as gen chat, forums is exactly like that- it has users of all ages engaging with each other especially the ban/games threads.

That’s where it needs to be applied- i ended up waffling. But that’s why I show my age to prevent any of that crap - and especially with how *some users are with that report button

Edit: *some typo

This being what though? The only reason i can think of is "right to privacy"

Privacy is a big one yes- Many users use their actual pic on their account, if they were required to post their age , potential identity theft or doxxing could be a concern. Some might be vain about their age, at one time women would be horrified to have to publically reveal age, maybe users are looking for a romantic partner and want to blur the margins a bit, who knows>

ofc the idea in drifting towards the rocks as there is no way to verify the ages either so unclear how keeping them at an untrue age helps.

Oh totally but those age shared rooms such as gen chat, forums is exactly like that- it has users of all ages engaging with each other especially the ban/games threads.

That’s where it needs to be applied- i ended up waffling. But that’s why I show my age to prevent any of that crap - and especially with how *some users are with that report button

Edit: *some typo
While it is true they are both shared age space the experiences are different though. Forums is comprised of the same 30 jackasses logging in and out everyday. So everyone knows mostly everyone. Same could be said of chat but in chat theres more new people coming in than on forums. Also regulars visiting different rooms with people theyve not interacted with before.

Privacy is a big one yes- Many users use their actual pic on their account, if they were required to post their age , potential identity theft or doxxing could be a concern. Some might be vain about their age, at one time women would be horrified to have to publically reveal age, maybe users are looking for a romantic partner and want to blur the margins a bit, who knows>

ofc the idea in drifting towards the rocks as there is no way to verify the ages either so unclear how keeping them at an untrue age helps.
This is true because we dont have age verification.
It makes for a blurred line between privacy and safety

At the very least having a posted age would set a boundary between overage and underage users. Not exactly a boundary preventing them from interacting but a set boundary in which staff could take action.

In other words, how is anyone supposed to know they are talking to a minor if the minor doesnt have a posted age?
If they have one even if false, then all the better to persecute people with.
But this goes hand in hand with not being able to change the age otherwise it leads to abuse as is seen is the first 2 links.
The vip users would be a start. Credit cards are 18 plus- purchase receipts confirming the details.

Lengthy process yes, gotta start somewhere. Just an idea but probably more complex than it sounds
But VIP can also be gifted and theres no way CM is going to change that. Meaning having VIP doesnt mean the person is 18+.
Those concerns about having the option to not accept gifts have been raised but it would only reduce revenue so thats not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.