The recommendation thread

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath.
Anything by Catherine Cookson.
The Yellow Wallpaper -Charlotte Perkins Gilman.

• The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini.
  • Macbeth - William Shakespeare.
  • Frankenstein - Mary Shelley.
  • Atonement - Ian McEwan. (Don't bother reading 'Enduring Love'.)
  • The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories - Angela Carter.
  • Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov.
  • King Lear - William Shakespeare.
  • A thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini.
  • 1984 - George Orwell

Last edited:

They're great choices, I've had to study king lear twice, once for A-level and once for an exam as part of a uni module, Lolita is twisted, but such a great book, Frankenstein is controversial when you look below it and realise her age, gender, era... and Angela carter i did for A-levels<3333

Totally! I read it in one or two sittings. Epic book. The film follows it quite loyally too; not that films are ever as good as the book.

Yes, this! Excellent taste, Hudson. Seen the film yet? I'm afraid to watch it because the book's so good.

I watched the film there on Saturday, I wouldn't recommend it personally. It doesn't do the book justice and the film is kind of rushed and awkwardly paced. Also the whole idea that global warming was the reason for the disaster is shoved in there, which pissed me off. I dunno, if I hadn't of read the book maybe I would have thought the film better, but the film just annoyed me because it seemed like the director just didn't get what the book was about and was just sort of like "ohhhh apocalypse, cool".

...That's just me though. I loved the book so watching the film was kind of like being set up with someone who was just like your ex girlfriend who you hadn't gotten over. It's kinda similar, but it's not the same.

• The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini.
  • A thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini.
  • 1984 - George Orwell

Yea I have to agree MacBeth is my favorite Shakespeare play Lolita I have to read later this year it's on the course curriculum

Dante's Inferno was good I enjoyed that one.
Ulysses by James Joyce A diabolical book to read but it has some interesting passages
Faust translated by Christopher Marlowe. Been some interesting modern themes on this as well
Hamlet by William Shakespeare I recently saw it with John Simm. He was really broody and dark I loved it.
Old Possums book of Practical Cats T.S Eliot the poems were totally desecrated by Tim Rice and the funny looking guy who wrote Cats.

Seems a lot of people have read the same books, you could open a discussion thread on one or two of them. Just an idea.

Seems a lot of people have read the same books, you could open a discussion thread on one or two of them. Just an idea.

I was thinking the same thing. But I was more of the lines of an 'Analysis thread.' Which would be basically be more aimed for Literature students.
Just a thought.

Saul Kripke - Naming and Necessity, Wittgenstein on Rules and Private Language.

Ludwig Wittgenstein - Tractatus, Philosophical Investigations, Zettel, On the Foundations of Mathemathics... etc.

Arthur Schopenhauer - Die Welt als wille und vorstellung (the world as will and representation), Studies in Pessimism, On Human Nature.

Otto Weineger - *** and Character.

Bertrand Russell - Principia Mathemathica.

S?ren Kierkegaard - The Concept of Anxiety, Philosophical Fragments, Fear and Trembling.

Immanuel Kant - Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practial Reason, Critique of Judgement, Metaphysical Foundations of Natural Science.

Gottlob Frege - Begriffsschrift.

Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis, The Trial (The Process).

and so on...

I was thinking the same thing. But I was more of the lines of an 'Analysis thread.' Which would be basically be more aimed for Literature students.
Just a thought.

Agreed. I study English at uni, so i'm really into books, maybe it could be like a review kind of discussion?

Anyway, on topic:

Angus, Thongs and perfect snogging (the film was crap, but the book so reminds me of being a younger teen :lol: well worth a read)

Done :)

Just a thought.

Made a thread, feel free to analyse away lol. I don't think it should be aimed at Literature students though, might put off people who aren't studying it but who want to join in with a debate or discussion. No reason why Lit students couldn't make use of it too though of course :p

Just read Chocolat by Joanne Harris, can highly recommend it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The book thief, by Markus Zusac.
I just absolutely loved it.
The book itself is actually narrated by death.

Actually, I'll just post up the blurb:
1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.

Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

-------------

I wasn't interested in it too much until everyone in my old English class wouldn't shut up about it. So I gave it a shot.

Loved it. :heartbeat

Dave Pelzer - A child called 'it'.

True story :'( So sad, got me in tears! But it's so good and hard to put down. :reallysad:
xox

I am addicted to the following authors:

Harlan Coben (his stand-alone novels, rather than the Bolitair series)
Kelley Armstrong (the Otherworld series)
Charlaine Harris (the True Blood series)
Jennifer Rardin
Justin Gustanis
Rachel Vincent
Linwood Barclay

I can also recommend:
Pretty Little Things :: Jilliane Hoffman
The Surrogate :: Tanya Carver
American Psycho :: Bret Easton Ellis
Stolen Angels, Nemesis, Lucy's Child :: Shaun Hutson (for trashy, pulp horror)
The Princess Bride :: William Goldman
Memoirs of a Geisha :: Arthur Golden
His Dark Materials :: Philip Pullman (it was a trilogy, I believe he's now added more to it - I only read the original trilogy)
Out Of the Dark :: Linda Caine & Robin Royston (utterly heartbreaking and very compelling)