The recommendation thread

Marie Phillips: Gods Behaving Badly

I love a story that makes me laugh and would recommend the above for a quick, light-hearted read to make you giggle.

i love that boook!

if you're into trueblood, you should try the black dagger brotherhood or the dark hunter series.
i prefer them so much more to the trueblood series; her writing style's a little tedious.

The Demonata Series
By Darren Shan

In order it goes
Lord Loss
Demon Thief
Slawter
Bec
Blood Beast
Demon Apocalypse
Death's Shadow
Wolf Island
Dark Calling
Hell's Heroes

Now I will warn anyone who reads these it's vary dark and gory so if that's not your thing you will hate these books but if you do like that it will be perfect for you

THE TWILIGHT SAGA. l[/QU { YES! I AGREE ON THAT! I wasnt into books much until i got hurt and cant do much. i was given the twilight books, i didnt want anything to do with them bc it was EVERYWHERE! Finally i caved in and picked up the book and COULDNT PUT IT DOWN i hated myself for it.

Why the hell do you people like Lord of the Flies? Its the biggest load of BS i ever read. We did it in school as a prescribed book, and theres even a movie on it that we watched.

We had to read the book and watch the movie and I loved them both.

Catcher in the Rye is a personal favourite too.

Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman.
I don't like reading or science or any of that.
But I liked this.

Okay I can't believe none of his books got any mention but if you want a good author you should look up pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman he is astounding even Stephen King gives him props. I would recommend:

Neverwhere: One of my faves, you will never look at a homeless person or anyone similiar in the same way again. This is one of my favorite books of all time

Good Omens: Co written by Gaiman and Terry Pratchet <-- Another good author. One of the critic quotes on the back of the book said that this book reads like a book on the apocalypse written by monty python. This story is difficult to read at first because it jumps back and forth from character to character alot but as long as you stop trying to put them together before they are meant to come together it is one hell of a read.

American Gods: This story will really make you think just one more of Gaimans masterpieces.

Stardust: You may have seen the movie that came out and though it was a good movie it (of coarse) doesn't do the book justice. This is also one of his easier books to follow a good starter to get you hooked on Gaiman.

Ok this might be a bit sad but im only just getting over harry potter withdrawal... :p

but Im reading
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Madela
I thought it would be a drag but it is really good. The things that happened in South Africa were terrible, its a part of recent history that we should all know about

I'm a fan of harry potter too .. and also read the Long Walk to Freedom (my mum brought a copy back from SA for me) I thought it was an incredible book and an amazing story. I couldn't agree more about the things that happened there.

Also - I recommend absolutely anything written by Sir Terry Pratchett (a God amongst men) - His books are fantasy but they hold up an interesting and humorous light to many aspects of humanity/society/progress. (if you've seen any of the TV shows don't be put off .. the books are a million times better)

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

The Red and the Black - Stendhal

Winter Dreams - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Tracy Quan Diary of a jetsetting call girl
Ally Kennen Berserk
Keren David When i was Joe
Robert swindells Branded
Anthony McGowan Henry tumour
Anthony McGowan Hell bent
Sarra Manning Lets get lost
Stephsnie Meyer Breaking dawn
Sophie Parkin French for kissing

There my fav's <3

I am currently hooked on F. Paul Wilson.

Give his Repairman Jack series a try, I'm reading Legacies at the moment and I can't wait to get onto the next one!
It's really hard to put these books down.

The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiracies
All The Rage
Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
CrissCross
Infernal
Harbingers
Bloodline
By The Sword

For some of the younger ones out there...
A series of unfortunate events - lemony snicket
(there is 13 in the collection. )

dbsjhbs i have so many.

but these are my favorites.

american psycho - bret easton ellis.
fight club/choke/invisible monsters - chuck palahniuk.
anything by vonnegut.
the pillowman - martin mcdonagh ( a play, but still)
naked - david sedaris.
i am the messenger - markus zusak.
house of leaves - mark z. danielewski.
everything is illuminated - jonathan safran foer.
looking for alaska - john green.
going bovine - libba bray.

House of Leaves may be the most intellectual book you ever place in your hands. it's always been my favorite. Kudos lol <3

Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert.

It's a bit slow going to start with, but it picks up really quickly and once it did I couldn't put it down.

Here is a vague over-view of my likes of literature.

-Catcher in the Rye. My favorite quote from the book is: "I thought I'd be one of those mutes, the one's that have to write on a piece of paper everytime they have a conversation. That way I can avoid pointless conversations, because of course nobody has the patience to communicate that way.

-Astral Dynamic. This book is more focused on Metaphysical matters, of trying to OBE-leave your physical body and travel through your astral body. AKA Astral Projection. The author is Robert Bruce.

-I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. This book is more or less about finding the quest of truth. Self-Help book, some would say a quick dose of finding enlightenment. To bad that's non-existant.

Best reading!

If you are a teenage girl I suggest Go Ask Alice written by Anonymous

If you are a Vampire lover I suggest Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice

If you are looking for a rather short story read I suggest The Bet by Anton Chekhov

₦icholas;4186492 said:
If you are a teenage girl I suggest Go Ask Alice written by Anonymous
Good book, but I must have been 11 or so when I read it so it really freaked me out